It happened outside of school.

We have a situation at our school (very small private school). I don't know all the details but I will hear the discussion at tonights school board mtg. I have heard that rumors that parents are coming to complain. Supposedly so kids were texting nasty stuff about another student. Somehow the principal got word of them talking about and possibly being nasty to a fellow student. (I'm assming one of the kids parents called abd complained about how kids were being mean to her child) These are 8th graders. Principal called all kids involved and told them to bring cell phones with them. She reviewed txts sent and gave the kids who txtd bad stuff a 1 day in school suspension. I know alot is left out of this story, but if they txts occured outside of school but were discussed by students in school (and phones were at school) would you be mad if the school handled it?? keep in mind it is a private Christian school. thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• handbook states that bullying, threats and harrassment will be punished at school even if it occurs outside of school (if it is done against one of our students)
    Anonymous

• I say if it has to do with any student regardless of wether or not it took place on school grounds it needs to be addressed. We have seen/heard the damage these stupid text that are going around affect other kids. I would support the school handling it, I have teenagers and I would want their butts to get in trouble for talking bad or nasty about others period.
    Anonymous

• OP_I am trying to keep an open mind since i havent heard the parents side yet but I am glad the school took a stand and handled it so quickly.
    Anonymous

• i agree with all!! let the school handle it,better safe then sorry look at all the school shootings,by kids who are bullied not to mention suicides,if my school did nothing id b pissed.
    coffeefreak996

Answer by coffeefreak996 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The only thing I would have a problem with is if I wasn't notified first, beyond that I believe a school has a responsibility to protect it's students and if that means dealing with something that happened off campus then they should, I also believe that it needs to be mindful of the parents rights as parents also, that's why I think the parents should be brought in first.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If the texts all occured outside of school and off school property, the principal had NO right to discipline the kids by suspending them. The school and talk to the kids about bullying and inappropriate behavior but they cannot discipline for something NOT done on school grounds. What next? Is the school going to discipline because the kids swear off school grounds and someone tells the principal? If it happens on school grounds then the principal can discipline, off grounds IT IS NOT THEIR PLACE TO DISCIPLINE, It's the parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Your children all have what is called the freedom of speech. They can say anything they want.
    However, there is this LITTLE THING CALLED LIBEL. It means "lies in writing about another person".
    THE LITTLE "DARLINGS" WERE BULLYING ANOTHER CHILD. Because it does result in children committing suicide, children quitting school and the like, the SCHOOL was RIGHT to address it. HOWEVER, I am sorry they didn't address it properly by telling the parents the children must attend an antibullying workshop or be EXPELLED.
    People need to be taught that BEING MEAN is WRONG.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• private school, and the texting was about one of the students there? This is also stated in the handbook that this kind of situation would be handled this way? I think it is great that the school is aware that kids do this kind of thing, and they are dealing with the situation. You know quite well that there would be at least one parent who would do nothing about it if the discipline were left completely up to the parents. It is even better that the parents were called in, they ALL know everything, ALL the kids get in the same amount of trouble. I have no problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think it's great the school stepped in, however parents need to be more responsible as well. I understand that children want their privacy, but parents need to teach them too. By not checking up on what your kids are emailing, tweeting, posting, texting, etc... you are giving them license to do whatever they want. I worry that something like Columbine or suicides will happen closer to our home. I don't believe I over do the checking up piece, but my daughter understands that if she would be embarrassed that I read it, she better not be sending it.
    LadyDi1220

Answer by LadyDi1220 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• why would I be mad? If it was your child that was being bullied, would you be mad? In school or out of school it does not matter. They need to learn that it is wrong. it's a good thing that the school stepped in and corrected the behavior. There had been way too many incidents of young teens committing suicides due to nasty rumors and bullying. School must definitely do something to stop it from happening by preventing it from getting so worse for the teen that they could no longer bear it anymore. This is someone else's child. When I saw the news recently about a young teenager who took her life because of nasty rumors circulated by other fellow students I was teary eyed. I feel so bad for the parents who had just lost their child. We love our children dearly and have the responsibility to teach them that they should not bully/spread rumors/be kind and to protect them from others who would bully them.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2010