3 years old and starting head start

I just don't know about this all day head start program in our town for 3 year olds. All day seems excessive to me and I am not so sure my dear little one is ready for such a big change.

Please I need your thoughts....dh is insisting she go and I can't shake this feeling that she is too young.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think all day can be too much for 3 yr olds. Some may like it but if you don't need it then why send her? she could go to a mom's day ot program or soemthing to get a few hours interaction once or twice a week. Follow your instinct. will they let you go half days? She can learn all that stuff at home or you could wait until she is 4 to send her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I just got info today..Are we in the same area :P It was set up at a WIC booth and I walked over and was like PLLLEASE take my baby.SHE IS so smart and I dont think she is getting what SHE needs from me.I may be a SAHM but I am not a teacher lol.I was told that she will only go 3 hours aday.She is 3 and will start in September.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• my daughter has went to head start half day for two years and is almost done. At the beginning it was great because she was delayed in language and it helped her but this year she is bored and gets in trouble for not listening to the teacher.
    minniemommie

Answer by minniemommie at 9:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• that's why I'm not starting mine until he is 4, he needed 2 years of daycare preschool to learn how to be somewhere all day and how to sit still
    Anonymous

• You have to do what you think is best. I enrolled my 4 year old and she loved it. One day walking her in a little boy was crying and didn't want to stay. He looked about 3. Broke my heart since it looked like his mom was going to work after droping him off. Since it is not mandatory and my child didn't want to go I wouldn't make them. My son will be 3 and eligible to go to prek but I don't know if I want him to go. He seems to want to bc of his older sister and brother.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• too much in my opinion. At 3 I would not have them go more than 3 days and just maybe 4 hours at the most. If you are a SAHM just keep the LO home....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher. Pre-K starts at 4 yr old. Anything before that is just daycare.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010