Do you have dual citizenship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Travel

• Yes, I am British and Canadian.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What is Dual Citizenship: Dual citizenship means that an individual is a citizen of two countries at the same time. It is also possible to be a citizen of three or more countries. However, every country has its own laws regarding dual citizenship. Some countries allow it and others do not, while some countries have no particular laws regarding dual citizenship. Dual citizenship is not something that can be applied for. It is a process that happens when a person becomes a citizen of another country, in addition to his or her country of birth. Dual citizenship occurs automatically for some individuals. cont.....
    Anonymous

• cont....For example: a child is born in the United States to foreign parents. In this example this child has U.S. Dual Citizenship since the child is automatically a citizen of the United States and a citizen of its parent's home country. The same applies to children of U.S. citizens born abroad where the child is both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.
    Anonymous

• My children were born in England.  Since I was already a naturalised Canadian citizen I was able to register my children as Canadian citizens,so they too have duel nationality.  Also being British citizens we are legally able to live in any of the 27 countries in the EU.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• beeky, thanks for the posts. Very interesting! op
    Anonymous

• My son does. I am a Canadian citizen who lived as a permanent resident in the US for more than 20 years. My son was born there, and his dad is American. However, when his dad left us, we moved back up here to Canada. He is a citizen of both countries, which I'm quite happy about, it gives him lots of options when he grows up.
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 2:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2010