My soon to be 9 month old is ATTACHED to me

So yes, my daughter is pretty much attached me. If she sees me leave the room she'll burst into tears. She was breastfed until 7 1/2 months so I'm sure that would explain part of the attachment. If I have her in her play pen I have to make sure she doesn't see me walk by because if she does...it's a tear fit. Other people can be holding her when I'm not around and she's fine, but as SOON as she sees me she cries and puts her arms out for me. I don't want her to be so anxious when I leave the room just for a minute. I'm pretty much the only one that watches her, besides my husband. Is there anything I can do to help this? My husband and I have only been out once on our own since she's been born, and I would like to do that more often..

contrariant

Asked by contrariant at 4:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Other people can be holding her when I'm not around and she's fine, "

See that part? **grin** That's what lets you get out. This is normal, it will pass and don't feel you have to tie yourself down.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• separation anxiety it is normal and will pass
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 4:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• she would probably be fine after a the firs few minutes of you leaving. my dd was like this. very attached to her mama. it does get better. it is importnt to make time for you & the hubbs!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I wish I had adice for you but I am in the EXACT situation with my son. Its gotten so bad that even if I'm sitting right next to him he still has a tantrum when I put him down. And I hear difference things from different people. Some say let him cry it out (but I can't stand to do that) and others say that WHENEVER he wants to be held to hold him. I prefer a middle ground but havnt had luck on finding it. Sorry I wasn't any help and Good Luck
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Don't let her see you walk out. She'll be fine with whomever she's with. She sort of likes you. Just wait until she's a teen and can't stand the sight of mom or dad! Then you will want these days back again.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My daughter has always been like that, since birth. No kidding you but from the very first day she was born until 4 mos, I could not put her down for longer than 5 seconds! I had to be holding her or she would cry and quiver for hours if I let her. It was sooo exhausting and it still gives me nightmares. Once she went to daycare, it got better, but she is over 1 now and still always wants to be held if I"m around. A lot of times I just ignore the fits and tell her to go and play. She got a lot better once shec ould crawl, then she entertained herself. Now that she walks she likes getting into stuff and playing but she still has her moments.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son went through a clingy phase at about ten months and it lasted a month or so and then he was fine. I would just be there and go with it - your baby needs you. It will pass and won't be forever. He was fine before ten months and he was fine after this phase...he has always been around others and been held by tonnes of people...but generally babies and kids go through phases.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It is normal, and however you choose to respond to it, eventually, she'll be fine. It's a normal phase of separation anxiety. She'll grow out of it most likely. Not too many kids remain quite that attached.
    At this age it's perfectly normal behavior.

My 7 month old has wanted to be held since he was born, but he didn't care who it was until recently. Now it "has" to be me. I give him to other people and go away, he gets over it. :) (he is my 3rd)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010