period & breastfeeding

is it normal to get your period while still breastfeeding? my daughter is 4 1/2 mo old & is breastfeeding & formula feeding & i just got my period for the first time since i got pregnant. is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine when she was 3 months. Whild some women do not get a period during that time, it is not a rule and breastfeeding should never be used as BC
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• For some people yes. It is differentt for everyone. Mine has only just come back and my son is 2 1/2. You may also find that it isn't regular at first either. Some mothers find their period comes back straight away while others don't even lose it during pregnancy.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Normal. The less you breastfeed the sooner it tends to come. So if you are also using formula that will make it come a little sooner.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yep.Completely normal. A mom who's breastfeeding only can get her period back a few weeks postpartum...it will vary for everyone and it's a myth that you categorically do NOT get your period while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I was about 8 months out when I got mine back.
    kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 5:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well with my three it was 18 months, 12 months and 16 months. The delay in period with some women include "rules" that include no paci's no formula and nursing every two hours.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I definitely think it's different for every woman.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I had 19 glorious months! It is normal to get it back, though!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 7:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My baby is EBF (no pacis or bottles, tho she will drink a lil from a sippy cup) & I got mine I think a month post-partum!! I thought I'd have a at least a few months without my friend, but that wasn't my case!!
    mandi0986

Answer by mandi0986 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• According to my midwife, it is normal for a woman to have a "mini-period" about four months after having a baby. It's the last bit of the liningof the uterus shedding itself. if it happens again, then it was probably a normal period. and yes, it's normal either way.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 8:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010