What age should a child have their own e-mail address?

My daughter is 8 and she promises to only use it for family and her friends but there's a chance she might use it for her web games and such,what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just let her have it but make her write down the password, tell her it's so she doesn't forget and check every once in a while.
    Anonymous

• I think it's ok- you just need to monitor it closely
    Anonymous

• I got my kids a child account through yahoo that is connected to my yahoo address - so I can access/monitor their accounts.

Answer by missanc at 6:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Hotmail has a thing too where you can link accounts so you can keep an eye on her.

Personally I think 8 is too young.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• All 3 of my kids have email addresses. My oldest is 8 and my youngest is 11 months. Now the younger 2 don't use theirs for anything I use them to sign them up for things that need a different email address for each person. I have let my son use his for signing up for games online but I check out the games before he can use it.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• None of mine have theri own yet and my oldest is 13...I set up a separate account for them all to use for games and whatnot that they need an email for. Keeps the span out of my email and I can monitor closely what they're doing with it.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:45 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't think there is any set age.
    My 9 1/2yo was asking me why she can't have an email account because ALL her friends have one (she even brought home some addresses). But she isn't allowed to use the computer at home because she doesn't behave so she has no need for email. We are moving across country this summer so she won't ever see these kids again (most likely) so I'm thinking I'll give her an email address this summer so she can keep in contact with her friends here but I'll probably keep the password and sign her on so she can only use it when I allow it (otherwise she sneaks on the computer whenever I turn my head...we had to put passwords on it to keep her off).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:04 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• There is a site online called zilladog.com which allows you to monitor the emails and I think needs adult approval on the email addresses mail is coming in from.
    Anonymous

• My children all have their own emails. For the younger 2, I can go into their accounts and monitor them. And yes, they have used it to play games, but they go in and block those emails as junk. My kids got email when they were 9-10 yrs old and needed emails for school projects if they had internet access at home and they were able to get extra credit for it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Both of my kids 7 and 8 have their own email address! We did a lot of research before we just gave them one.  We gave them both an FREE account from zilliadog.com

Email for Kids

* Parents have their own password to set up the "buddy list" in the address book (yes, you get to pick their friends).
        * Parents can be copied on all outgoing messages.
        * Kids can only receive email from their approved “buddy list”, so there is no spam.

We love it! I don't have to do anything. Everything shows up in my email inbox. I get automatic blind carbon copies of everything. I always get blind carbon copies of outgoing mail, but sometimes I do get blind carbon copies of the incoming mail. We also use Littleye to restrict their internet access.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2010