How early can you start transitioning your LO to whole milk?

My son will be 11 mos, I have a 5 year old and I should know this, but gosh my memory sucks. Is it too early to start giving it to him?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on how you feel. My kids tend to have allergies, so I wait until they are anywhere between 15-18 months, before they get cows milk... if they ever get it
    Anonymous

• hmmm, I know at a year, my 5 y/o was getting it............no allergies. However this one, his dad has awful allergies, hmmmmmm
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I started my son at 11 months half and half
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• cool leann! Thanks!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Considering dad's allergies, probably better to wait than not.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i have horrible allergies but i started my son at about 10months he will be a yr on the 22nd and he loves his milk he drinks it more than formula. now he is down to one 4oz bottle of
    formula a day
    aledge

Answer by aledge at 6:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well, according to doctors it is not a good idea to try whole milk prior to 12 months of age or older because if it is given to the baby to early it can damage their kidneys. Not to mention, that they can get really sick and projectile vomit for quite some time. If your child was fed formula at all and it was soy-based to reduce issues with spitting up it is definitely better to wait a few more months as well. Just some food for thought. So, I would definitely wait for another couple months.
    LadyL21

Answer by LadyL21 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'd say you could start working it into his formula or breast milk...a few ounces at a time...see how he does...then do half milk, half formula/breast milk....then when he's a year...switch him to milk...they need the formula or breast milk until 12 months at least...so you can give him some milk...but don't let it replace the formula or breast milk until he is 12 months old. =)
    Anonymous

• He was on regular formula.........has shown no signs of allergies thus far. Maybe I'll call his dr just to be sure! Thanks for the advice gals!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• my doc started both of mine at 10 mths, part formula part milk, both transitioned fine by 12 mths
    stacy1403

Answer by stacy1403 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010