What is the weight limit for a forward facing car seat?

If my baby weighs more that the required weight but isn't a year old yet for the front facing seat, can we go to a forward facing or do we have to wait until he reaches year old??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They suggest waiting for a year. I just got a new carseat for my lo............and it's a rear/forward, so when he reaches a year, I can turn it around. The other one, the limit was 20lbs
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Babies MUST be a minimum of at least 1 year old AND at least 20lbs. before you can turn them forward facing. If your baby outgrows the infant seat before they are 1yr. you should get a convertible carseat that allows for rearfacing longer. The Cosco Scenera is around $40 at Walmart and rear faces until 35lbs. Babies and toddlers are 5x safer rearfacing, and infact the AAP now recommends keeping toddlers rearfacing to limits of the convertible carseat. Legally though, they must be rearfacing until they are at least 1yr. and at least 20bls.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• they need to be 20 pounds and 1 year old
    Anonymous

• legally, the bare minimum is 1 year old AND 20 pounds, but they can safely rearface a lot longer than that.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Good for you for checking! Yeah, you do need a new car seat. Get one that will rf for a good long while, and on that you canthen forward face.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010