How do you feel about older teachers? Are there any benefits to being an older teacher or with pursuing a career in this field when you are older? Or do parents and school boards prefer younger teachers? What is the probability of being hired?

I know I'm not phrasing my questions correctly but I'm not sure how else to ask. I'm curious what others think of older teachers because I am currently going back to school for my bachelor's and teacher certification after being out of school for many years. However, I won't even be finished with my degree program until I am 43, and then of course it will be several more years for a masters. Being a teacher has been a life long dream of mine since I was a child, but I'm wondering now if I should continue with pursuing this degree or if I should change my plans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• As long as you have the desire, energy and mindset you should be ok.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• As a parent I am always happy when my children get an older teacher! They have so much more life experience and being a mother as well is such a bonus for a teacher. My first daughters kindergarten teacher was like 22 and fresh out of college and really had no idea how to relate or teach properly and I was very disappointed. I say go for it!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 6:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• when i saw "older teacher" i thought of a teacher where i went to school who was almost 80. i dont see any problem with your age.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I want my son to have a teacher that can deal with him. That is what matters to me. I don't care about age.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010