Recommendations for good relationship building books

I am at the end of my rope. I feel that my SO (we are not married but have lived together for 6 years and have a child) and I are just not connecting or communicating and it's really, really hurting our relationship. When we do talk - he doesn't make time to spend, either just the two of us, or family time with our daughter; I feel that we are not a priority in his life; there are more, but those are what I feel is the heart of the problem - I feel like we are having the same conversation over and over and nothing ever comes of it. I suppose what it comes down to is that I am not happy in our relationship, I don't think that he is happy, and I think that we both deserve to be. I was interested in The Love Dare, but we are not religious at all and not interested in being, so the scriptures/religious aspect really turns me off. Can anyone suggest any good books that can help us fix our relationship and communicate better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• The Five Love Languages is a wonderful book IMHO. it does make religious references to the bible but not so much that it feels like the book is only for Christian couples. I am Pagan and still enjoyed the book and put it's techniques to work often.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• "men are from mars women are from venus"

i don't remember who wrote it, but it's vital for surviving life with the opposite sex! it's a funny, easy to read, page turner, that will have you and him laughing, crying, and understanding each other with more passion than you ever thought possible.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• "How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It"
    "Secrets of Happily Married Women"
    "The Power of a Praying Wife"

These books saved my marriage after baby #2. They are all available on Amazon.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

It gives you a huge insight into why men tune women out. It explains how to connect without talking him into a corner and leaving you feeling even worse because he is like a bump on a log.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage, Love and Respect, and The Surrendered Wife. Good Luck! These books not onl changed my marriage, they saved it!
    scrapnmom01

Answer by scrapnmom01 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP here. Thanks ladies for all the helpful answers. I've been checking on Amazon and have all these books on hold at the library (they're going to think I'm having a crisis! Well, I guess I kind of am...). I really hope that some of these can help us, and that he's willing to work with me on this!
    Anonymous