Fish oil for children with ADHD?

My MIL was told to give my nephew (he's 5 1/2) who has ADHD, fish oil....problem is, even the "childrens" fish oil comes in HORSE PILLS....so she cuts them open and tries to incorperate them into foods like shakes and such, but the prob is, is that he tastes the fish oil, or he can't finish what's given to him that contains the fish oil....
Has anyone ever dealt with this? Is there something she can do, or advice you have for her to help her get the fish oil into him? lol TY in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've started using fish oil with my daughter for speech delay. We use Nordic Naturals cod liver oil (got it at Whole Foods) and the children's kind comes in liquid form that tastes like strawberry. I put it in a small glass of apple juice and my daughter drinks it with no problem- and she can usually sense "medicine" a mile away. Check out the "toddlers with speech delay" group- there is lots of info on there about fish oil supplements.
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 9:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i've never heard of this method, but she could try to put it into something he will finish lol! i know it sounds obvious, but i mean to suggest sherbert, or yogurt, chocolate pudding, or a milk shake. or, figure out the dose and bake it into a batch of brownies or cookies. give him one per day as both a medicine and a reward for taking it!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• she's tried a shake...but he never finishes it, and she said, you can't really give him a milkshake for breakfast everyday...he'll get bored with it. When it's a teeny tiny one, he can taste the fish oil (as fish oil is VERY STRONG)
    Anonymous

• I have heard of this but I haven't tried it. I think I might though just to see if it works. My 8 year old has ADHD.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I've heard of this from quite a few people. I would keep looking around to try and find a smaller pill.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It's the omega 3, I believe. You should be able to find it in other sources, even through food. Check your health food store.
    Anonymous

• Flax seeds are a good source of omega, too.
    Anonymous

• You can get fish oil in a liquid, my kids take it. You can get it at a healthfood store. The one I buy is made by Barleans. they also have flax oil and cod liver oil, all three are good for the omega 3's.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010