how do you handle fears/phobias?

i have a phobia of vomit, and of authority figures (like cops, teachers, doctors, cps, landlords, my parents, people who work at the bank, and on and on) and it's really driving me crazy. most of the time i know that its all really irrational and i'm worrying about nothing. but sometimes its really overwhelming and i get panic attacks. i got pulled over the other day for a burnt out turn signal and i could hardly talk, its ridiculous. and if i think someone is going to throw up, i have to shut my eyes and cover my ears, adn i look like a crazy person. what can i do that will help with this? i've tried a few anti depressants but they dont work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Health

• therapy, for sure. you need someone to walk you through this.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• well i get really extreme panic attacks to I take xanax whenever i feel like im freaking out and it really relaxes me quick! try maybe seeing a physcyatrist or go to church, the key is to BREATH slow deep breaths and ask ur self is this really worth me freaking out? have a conversation with a close friend so u can forget about it, or maybe u might need more things to fill out ur day, excercise is rly good to. stay positive and hang in their! trust me i know how u feel!!
    Anonymous

• medical marijuana could be helpful?
    Anonymous

• music can help u relax to
    Anonymous

• Are you just an anxious person overall? Most of the people you mentioned as authority figures are not really even authority figures in the most basic sense....Were you always afraid an nervous around your own parents? Was growing up very stressful for you? Were they harsh and judgemental? Whatever the answers to these questions are, you need to go to couseling to sort through all of this and separate what is true about people in the bank and what isn't...etc. Then, maybe try another anti-anxiety medication as well. Ironically, everyone I know with anxiety issues has a hard time taking anxiety meds and I wonder if it isn't because the idea of taking them makes them anxious.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010