How do i win the potty battle?

My 4 yr old understands how to use the potty but refuses.He won't go unless he has a pull up on.I've tried rewarding him and it's not working.He does have mild autism and has made great progress in his pre school.We are really hoping to be able to mainstream him into a regular kindergarden.But we can't until he is potty trained.Any ideas on what i could try?Do i just wait it out and make him wear underwear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop thinking of it as a battle, because it is not. You cannot force him to potty train, especially with underlying conditions.Be patient and he will train on his own. Would he understand aiming at a target? Toss a few Cheerios in the toilet and have him aim at the Cheerios.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• With mild autism, these kind of battles are even more difficult.....I would consult with an expert on autism, or research the subject of potty training kids with autism. As you know, kids with autism can be more stubborn because they are so genuinely resistant to change.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't have the experince with autism but I do know what worked for my boys. We took our boys to the store and let the pick out their own big boy underwear. I let them pick out whatever they wanted. They loved their underwear so much that they didn't want to get them messy. My youngest one was the funniest with it because he had an accident and he informed me, "My spiderman's dirty!" He stripped them off put them in the washer and then helped me put them in the dryer after they were washed and then folded and put away. After they were clean again he looked at me and said, "I don't like my spiderman unders dirty." We never had an accident after that.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Ask your child's teacher for advice. that's what my sister-in-law did (her son is in the middle of the spectrum for autism). School should also help you out in terms of being consistent with whatever approach you use.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 14, 2010