Do you follow through on threats of punishment??

When I set expectations/consequences for my son I stick with them. I have a friend who uses empty threats to get her kids to behave, like I'll cancel your birthday party or take your cell phone away- you know, things she won't really do. I just have to wonder if her kids will take her serious as they become teenagers???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, yes, and yes. I didn't count to three, I didn't say "if you do that one more time", I just said "stop, don't, get down, sit down" etc. and then punishment. It depended on the offense what the punishment was. I didn't make "threats" either. They learned the rules and knew the consequences.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I do the same thing, but it's like, what will really get to her at that moment. I think it's unrealistic that I tell my child she's going to sleep everytime she does something wrong, but I freak out....
    Anonymous

• I can honestly say that I don't always follow through with punishment/consequences for my kids, I have 2 teenagers and sometimes they push the button but out of my hubby and me i am the linient one, the one that gives them more than one chance but they don't mess around with my hubby, so I guess to answer your question I always don't
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No I don't usually follow through.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I have learned the hard way to make threats that I can keep. Cause, you know...threatening that he will be grounded for the rest of his life was just unrealistic and he knows it, LOL. Once I learned that and got that down pat, I was good to go and I do stick to my threats of punishment.The trick is to calm down before shouting out the consequence and to give a reasonable punishment to the crime.Works.The last punishment has bee tough because he has been grounded for an entire grading period.Long story. It was hard to stick to but I kept telling myself, stick to it just this once and maybe I won't have to ground him for this long again.So far, so good...AND he has WAY improved what he was grounded for in the first place.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I always follow through. Sometimes there isn't even a threat. If DD does something sometimes I just automatically say.. OK you just lost your game time (or whatever) and she will say "you never said....." LOL I don't have to, I'm the mom!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010