Less and less military Id as republican, why?

A new Military Times survey finds that fewer American troops identify as Republicans.

According to the survey of 1,800 troops released on Monday, the number of active service members self-identifying as Republican has fallen by one-third since 2004, with 9 percent of that drop-off occurring in the last year.

Military Times reporter Brendan McGarry writes: "These career-oriented officers and mid-grade and senior enlisted members are still far more conservative than liberal, but they are less likely today to identify with the GOP, the survey shows."

The shift in party affiliation among active-duty troops comes on the heels of similar findings from a survey the publication released in 2008.

These Military Times survey results show that support for the Republican Party among senior members of the Army, the group most likely to identify as Republican, declined significantly between 2004 and 2006

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't signify a shift towards dems either, third party or no affiliation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/12/military-political-affili_n_534526.html

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• This is my post

sweet-a-kins

• Because they're tired of being sent to the wrong country for war?
    Anonymous

• Here is another link for people that dont like huffpo

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/the_army_vote_the_military_tim.php

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Wait til Obama's had his 4-8 years of destruction....then we'll see where the troops are with thier political stance. Did you hear he's giving the lowest pay raise to the military, that it has had in the past 20 years? Good luck with that one!
    Anonymous

u huh great, so back to the OP...WHY??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Sweets - I think this is a trend in more than just the military. Personally? I'm a registered Republican who has yet to find a Democrat I'd be willing to vote for. However, I don't consider myself a Republican any longer. I consider myself a Right-of-Center Independent.

I don't think EITHER party mirrors my particular positions on issues. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of "Democrats" that actually consider themselves more "left of center Independents" too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

Why don't you feel the republicans represent you anymore? I have thought of switching to Independent, but then I can't vote in the primary..maybe i will anyway...still deciding! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• O and BTW IDMRMOM

I dont consider myself left of center , I really dont consider myself in those terms. I am conservative on some issues and liberal on others..til this point, I have felt comfortable expressing my views within the dem party. The reason for thinking of switching, I think everyone should shed the label..if we all did that the politicians would have to run on idea's and platforms based in what THEY want...then WE could decided who we like better..

Now its so divided, your vote is somewhat a guarantee...some will splinter but most of both bases with stay...KWIM?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Did you hear he's giving the lowest pay raise to the military, that it has had in the past 20 years? Good luck with that one!

With the current state of the US economy, those soldiers are darn lucky he didn't freeze their pay. I would hope that a pay raise wouldn't be the main reason for an individual to pick a party affiliation-pretty shallow thinking, imo.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010