im trying to potty train my son and seem a lil afraid to sit on the potty how can i get him to over come his fear of the potty chair

well every time i sit him on the potty chair he starts crying and walks away from the potty i dont want to tramatize him

Cynthia89

Asked by Cynthia89 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a very normal first reaction. Take some time to let him play on it, use it as a seat to watch a DVD (with clothes on), let him try to put his stuffed animals on the potty, etc. The feeling of sitting on a chair with a hole is unusual, it's pretty understandable that it feels strange and somewhat scary at first. This usually doesn't last long. You can also try the potty ring that fits on the big toilet. My little one love that at first and wouldn't sit on the potty chair (now 2 months later she mainly uses the potty chair, ugh the clean-up), my first daughter loved her potty chair until she started using it to potty, and then she preferred the ring. So it's worth trying both. I wouldn't force him to sit or anything. He should get used to sitting there on his own pretty quickly and then you can start training.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Also if you can get him to sit for just a second, you can pull out a book and start reading it or something that may distract him just long enough to forget he's afraid and to get used to the seat without focusing on it. But ease in to it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2010