Potty training time?? whats the clues?

My daughter is 21 months old. Was woundering when it would be time to start the potty training thing. What are the clues that show me she is ready for it now. Im told by people that when she is ready she will do it on her own. What? I just hear so much conflicting information that how is a first time mother really to know what to do. What have you ladies out there done with you kids, and how did it work for ya? what ages were your kids when they got potty trained?

Tweetybird5595

Asked by Tweetybird5595 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's uncomfortable when wet, or tells you............that's the biggest sign. You can put her on the potty and see how she does.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• the biggest clue i have heard of is when they no longer soil their diapers at night. if they have a clean diaper for awhile when they wake up just put them on the potty asap in the morning that way they get used to it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• all of my kids began potty training when they .....1, told me when they wet or pooped 2, showed discomfort in a diaper or get upset when you change them 3, wake up dry on 3 or mare nights a week.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a firm believer in waiting for them to do it on their own. I hear some stories about kids it worked great for, but way more about parents of 3 year-olds who simply won't use the pot or who hold their poop for days at a time. My almost-3 year-old still wets at night but she has been 100% day trained since 20 months. I'm very, very glad I didn't wait for night time dryness. She seemed rather unready, actually, when we started training her at 19 months. My second daughter was dry at night and asking to use the potty really early, so she was trained at 18 months. Very different kids with different levels of "readiness" but they were both trainable. Yes, it takes some work to do it this early, but so does changing diapers. It doesn't have to be this catastrophic battle some people make it out to be. I recommend starting before two.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My oldest nephew started potty training at 18 months, he wasn't dry all night but was very interested in the potty. My brother and sister in law got a video that was "guaranteed" to have them trained in 24 hours, well it wasn't 24 hours but seriously within a week he rarely had an accident. I am hoping to get that video when I start working with my son in about 9 months (my son is 9 months old currently). I do not know the name, but for them it worked, it did not work on their daughter, she wasn't potty trained until around 22/23 months.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What have you ladies out there done with you kids, and how did it work for ya? what ages were your kids when they got potty trained?
    ----
    The thing I always did was to get a new potty chair for each child. Around 15 mo or so, set it out and let them sit on it, play with it, etc. I was told that this pretty much kept the fear of going potty away as the chair was familiar to them. It worked wonderfully with my first, she was trained at 20 mo when I ran out of diapers and had no $$ for a few days. My 2nd, was over 2, showed all the signs but I could not get her to go on the potty for ANYTHING!!! My mom got her to do it once, which was all it took! My 3rd was like my 1st, but at around 22 mo (and it wasn't so urgent, either!) My last, a boy, showed zero interest in the chair, he wanted the big potty. He ended up going nakey for a few days. Now, I'm getting ready for my grandd. She is showing all the signs, YAY!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2010