Tired of the Double Standard!!

Why is it that when it comes to weight theres seems to be such a huge double standard?

Why is it ok to ridicule someone for being skinny but not for being overweight?

I for one get tired of hearing the "gosh your so skinny I hate you, it makes me sick" blah blah blah. Or my personal favorite.."Could she be ANY skinnier? Eat a f'ing cheeseburger already!!"
These are just some of the comments I hear and even some of the comments my friends make to me...well frankly to be honest if I sat there and said to them "Gosh your so fat why dont you stop eating?" They would flip the heck out on me and never talk to me again.

Or if you went up to someone who was "overweight" and made a comment about their weight it would be the absolute end of the world...

I guess im just tired of the double standard. Im tired of being made fun of for being in shape..it gets old and im to the point where I feel like calling people out for being fat

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Park your "pity me "bus somewhere else. Being 'in shape' doesn't mean anorexic thin. BTW..I'm fat and I hear PLENTY of crap ALL the time.
    Anonymous

• My little sister got called "Bleached Ethiopian" and "Holocaust Survivor" all the time in school. Even in college. People would say horrible things to my mom about how she must have emotional problems. People can be so cruel. My grandmother used to accuse my mom of not getting us treatment for worms because we were skinny kids.

You are right, but you're going to get bashed for this.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• First I am fifty pounds overweight and when I eat in public people always say things I used to be 490 pounds overweight and yes people always said stuff like why don't you stop eating or wow earthquake or they would throw Slurpee's on me and yell beached whale. I never make comments about thin people when I have my own yard to clean up.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Why does it always have to be one way or another??? Why can't we just say these (all of them fat and thin) sterotypes are hurtful and nonproductive. I am so sorry to hear that people say that to you it is very hurtful and unfair! I would not however spead that ignorance on to others but I can see you are very upset by it. I think if I were you I would just say how you feel to your friends. I would say maybe something like when you say that it does upset me because I work hard to be healty and leave it at that. Maybe that will spread a little goodness because they will see that why the think that they are only joking it is hurtful and with a little luck maybe someone else wont have to hear them go on because you stuck up for yourself. Good luck and great question!
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 8:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• "gosh your so skinny I hate you, it makes me sick" blah blah blah. Or my personal favorite.."Could she be ANY skinnier? Eat a f'ing cheeseburger already!!"

That is a complement wrapped in envy. What's your point. I lost all my baby fat right after giving birth with each kid. You should've heard what they said. However I know it was their own way of complimenting while being a little envious. Saying some one is fat is just rude pure and simple.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i don't think u should say anything to overweight people in general.....i had a baby almost 4 months ago....i'm still trying to lose the weight (i'm not overweight but i would like to get back into shape) and its not easy....so most of these overweight people are trying to lose weight so i don't think its fair if u just say rude comments to them because certain overweight people are putting u down for being healthy or under teh healthy weight.

i don't think anyone should bash u for posting this.
    if someone fat or overweight calls u skinny or makes fun of ur weight then i think u should make fun of "them" back right then and there , they'd desereve it.
    if ur "friends' are making these comments 2 u & they know that u get hurt by them then they aren't really ur friends....friends/family/partners are people in our lives that should make us feel god about ourselves and make us confidents and proud of who we are not put us down
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• *good not god
    *confident not confidents....sorry about the typos
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Hell, I'm not going to bash. I'm finally not too skinny anymore, but I'm still slim. It did get very old with people saying stuff all the time "Why don't you eat?" etc. . . and being accused of being anorexic, which is dumb since people saw me eat all the time. I just said, "Just lucky, I guess" so many times. Gah. I agree, it's a stupid double standard. When fat people sit around complaining, I just tell them, "Well you should eat less" because it makes me giggle. Sure, they might sit on me, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'm pretty sure more fat people are discriminated against than skinny people. Case in point would be one time I went to Victoria's Secret to get lotion and some perfume. My "skinny" friend was with me. The salespeople were more than eager to help her, but ignored me because at the time, I did not fit in most of their stuff.
    Anonymous

• You had me until your last statement. You sound like you are seeking attention and very arrogant.
    Anonymous