Those who practice witch craft... Some information for a close friend who is interested in practicing it.

Do you have to be born into it? or Can any one learn to use it?

What kind of spells and potions are there?

What are the rules to what you can or can't do?

Where does she start?

Is there any place for advise or tips on the net she can read for free? she doesn't have much money.

Are there any beginer spells or potion that would be good to start with?

For me. Does it really work in your experiences? No bashing just curious. I want to help her get as much info. as I can. I also would like to learn more so I can understand it. She is like a sister to me.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Witchcraft is a form of European Folk Magic. Voodoo is an African - Caribbean mix of traditional African religion and Catholicism, a very unique mix. Witchcraft does have potions, spells, hexs, charms, talismans, and many other forms of magical practices. Each tradition has their own view to these questions. But as far as I see it, one does not have to be born into but can learn it. As to the variety of spells and potions, it is huge and equal to the needs of the practitioner. The rules on what you can and can not do are limited to the practitioner morals and the rules of the tradition if they are in one. As to universal rules, there are a few, the biggest being, be careful what you ask for and accept responsibility for your actions. Where does someone start in this? By seeking, one has started. To learn for free, start in a library and read all you can and start with history.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It sounds like she is interested in voodoo more than magick. Voodoo is potions and spells. Magick isn't a snap your fingers cure all. It requires a great deal of knowledge and attention.

Goetic magick is very amazing. There is a book called the Goetia of Dr. Rudd. The Golden Dawn teaches a system of magick based on esoteric Christianity and Rosicrucian magic. The Golden Dawn has many public websites and books at Barnes and Nobel.

Some grimoires are very specific and require a great deal of attention to detail and study. Like any spiritual philosophy, one must be dedicated to the study of it to make it work.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't practice, but I do know the first and most important rule... Harm ye NONE. Anything you put out good or bad will come back on you at least threefold ( though I've heard ten fold before too) When doing spells you have to be careful with wording and intent. Love spells should never be done with a specific person in mind. Naming a specific person in a love spell will bite you in the butt. Anyone can learn it because the power is within each of us. This is rather funny/ironic, but those who are strongly religious are the best ones at doing it. (because of their connection to the universal energy that they call god) I'm sure the more seasoned ladies can recommend good books or sites. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Hope I didn't offend any practitioners here but noting the strongly religious folk being good spell casters. it's just an observation. I did not mean to offend anyone.
    Anonymous

Wait I'm confused now. I thought all magic had spells and potions apparently that's the impression she is under too. OOOHH man I am really lost now.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Not all magic is potions and spells. I know someone who does healing and all she uses are candles and spells. It depends.
    Anonymous

• Do you have to be born into it? or Can any one learn to use it? Anyone can learn!

What kind of spells and potions are there? As many as you can think of.

What are the rules to what you can or can't do? There are no real set rules to Witchcraft. Witchcraft itself is not a religion, simply a practice of magick. However, it does come in conjunction with many Pagan religions and most of those have a generally "Do No Harm" type of rule to them.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Where does she start? I would suggest sites like www.paganspath.com or www.About.com

Is there any place for advise or tips on the net she can read for free? she doesn't have much money. There are plenty of places online. I would also suggest that she visits a local Metaphysical shop or find another witch to chat with. (PM me if you would like my email address, I would be happy to advise her)

Are there any beginer spells or potion that would be good to start with? I would suggest learning ABOUT magick before attempting it! Magick is all about using your energy to affect the world around you and takes both knowledge and practice.

For me. Does it really work in your experiences? Yes, it does. Magick is the transfer of energy from you to the universe in order to bring you what you want. It's like if you put enough of a charge to metal, it will magnetise. With magick you do a similar thing, you draw things to you though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• For beginners, starting with meditation is best. Start with the axiom "Know thyself." There is no real beginner spell. All spells can work and do at times have very unexpected results, some are unpleasant.

Does it work? Yes it does. And yes it doesn't work anything like Hollywood portrays. And no you're not going to learn to levitate over night if ever in this lifetime, if ever in this universe.

Trying to learn more, you're going to have to rely on yourself, not others. You have to learn what is BS and what isn't. No one can tell you. There are only guideposts, no instruction books. Turn over every rock, hunt for knowledge, your thirst will never be sated. This journey will never end. So choose careful.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Do you have to be born into it? or Can any one learn to use it? No you don't have to be born into it and anyone can use it.
    What kind of spells and potions are there? All kinds.
    What are the rules to what you can or can't do? There are no set rules in Witch Craft. There are those that believe in "do what thou wilt" And others who have "an it harm ye none, do what thou wilt" That all depends on if they incorporate religion in with the Craft. You don't have to be Pagan or Wiccan to practice.
    Where does she start? Web sites are a great start and if she can get with others who currently practice would help out too. She can try meetup.com to look for others.
    Is there any place for advise or tips on the net she can read for free? she doesn't have much money. Look for local metaphysical shops and even others online. Lots of us don't have a lot of money either and can advise her on using what she already has in her home.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2010