Washing a special blanket...

When my youngest son was born, someone close to me knitted him a beautiful blanket, using yarn. I don't knit, so that is the best description I can give you. It has gotten dirty, but I do not want to get rid of it. I need to know how I can wash it where it won't damage or shrink it. Can anyone help me?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 8:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle.
    If it's wool then don't put it in the dryer or it will shrink. If it's just regular old yarn then you could put it in the dryer on a gentle tumble on low or medium heat.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• How can I tell if it's wool or just regular old yarn?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• On second thought, never mind. I'll just let it air dry that way there's no worry. :) Thank you so much!
    tropicalmama

• you can always take it to the cleaners and have them do it.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ew! Don't take your baby's blanket to the dry cleaners where they will fill it full of toxic chemicals!

You could also zip the blanket up in a pillow case (body pillow cases work well for things like this) and wash it that way. You could air dry most of the way and then throw it in your dryer on low to fluff it up and make it soft :)
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 11:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son uses a knitted yarn blanket that his father used as a baby. I wash it on warm gentle and it is fine. doesnt washing yarn blankets make them better over time?
    Chexamama09

Answer by Chexamama09 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2010