My SIL slaped my daughter!?

Here's what happened. My SIL lives in California and we live in New York so we only visit each other once or twice a year. She was in New York for a couple of days and she stayed with us. My daughter (5) adores her so she gets really excited every time she sees her and literally jumps in her arms.
She stayed with us for 5 days and she told my daughter off about jumping in her arms 3-4 times.
So when we were about to leave to drive her at the airport today, I called my daughter who was in her room to say goodbye. My daughter jumped in her aunt's arms saying "I'll miss you" and my SIL put her on the couch (a little violently) and told her "I told you to stop doing that" and slapped her!!!
I was furious! I told her off and refused to drive her to the airport so she took a cub instead. Hubby thinks I'm right too, but I feel guilty for telling her off and not taking her to the airport. Should I apologise?

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 8:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have made her walk...seriously slapping a child over excitement is wrong on so many levels....I might see it if she was doing something really wrong but not for any other reason.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Heck No I wouldn't apologize! What a wicked witch.Sorry but that is just wrong on her part. Why would someone slap a child that was clearly just being loving? And she only sees her 1-2x a year..she has no right whatsoever! Not that an aunt who saw her everyday would have the right either..but you know what I mean.
    Wow, she's lucky you didn't kick her ass. I would have really had to control myself if that were my child.
    Poor girl. I hope she isn't too sad over it. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would have slapped her back. i would make her fnd her own wasy just over putting her on the couch a little violently, no one is going to be doing that to my daughter
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Just adding, my daughter is only 33 lbs so I don't think she could hurt her or anything..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think you were exactly right to have a strong, protect your child, reaction.
    Anonymous

• i guess it kinda depends on how old your daughter was. then again if it were my kid i would've been on them from the first time they jumped on them so they knew better than to do that again. it wasn't right for her to slap your child, but on the other hand she must've felt badgered by the situation. did you ever step in as the mother to tell your child to stop? and inforce it? i would have.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i'd have slapped my SIL!!!! NO ONE does that to my child and gets away with it! no i wouldn't apologize!!! that is so F----ed up!
    Anonymous

• excuse me??? you better be kidding...you should have not even and ounce of guilt..thats a DARN witch!!! where did she slap her? face,butt? How old is this auntie from hell? and clearly she has no kids.You did the right thing :)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I sure as hell wouldn't apologize. Do you feel guilty for looking at your child and knowing she just got slapped for no reason? Honestly, in my case I'd probably have slapped the SIL back and ordered her to leave my house immediately. NO ONE would ever treat my child like that and then me feel guilty for them.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 8:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't call and say sorry but after a week or so i would call and explain to her why you were so mad say yall don't use spanking as disiplin or whatever and even if yall did she has no right of doing it herself...I have spanked my nephews before they are twins and they are 5 but i have also babysat them since they were 6 weeks old (i have watched them 5-6 days a week since they were that age) but i would never do it in front of their mom or dad but they know i spank them they have told me to if i tell them something they have done and have problems with But someone who only sees your child very litte has no right to even yell at them Now i hope your child don't grow up to not like her aunt anymore
    Anonymous