Stepmother Visitation Rights

I am a stepmother in Florida. My husband and his ex have shared custody, with her having primary residence, and us getting his 2 yo on every other weekend. My husband is in the navy and is getting deployed for a year. Do I have any rights to keep up the same visitation schedule while he is away, or do I not get to see my stepdaughter for a year. We have not approached the ex as of yet. We have no issues, but I am pretty sure she will do everything she can to keep her from me if she sees an opening. I am in no way wanting to take over or replace the mother. Only be able to see my stepdaughter a few times while my husband is gone, and wondering if I have any rights to request such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Have it documented, but otherwise, you don't have any rights. Makes no sense, you would be legally responsible for the kid if something happened to him at your house, but god forbid you want to spend time with him because you love him?? *sarcasm*
    Anonymous

• i would just ask, and then ask the child what they want. in this situation i can only agree with what the mother has to say. my ex has three mother's for four children and honestly we would allow ANY of the mother's to take the kids if they wanted to.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Honestly, I believe the step mother has no rights such as visitation if the father is not present. Thats something your going to have to try to work out with the mother.
    She may go for it, you never know. Have your DH talk to her.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't honestly know of a state where step parents have rights unless they've adopted the child or have guardianship. If the mother does not allow you visitation, then you get no visitation.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 8:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would ask cause it is important that you keep some sort of bond with the child as well. and who knows if she is a single mom she might be okay with it as she could have a break every now and again
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You have no rights.
    Anonymous

• She is a single mother, the child is 2 and asks for me frequently. It states in their marital settlement agreement and the parenting plan that he can designate anyone he wants to pick up and care for his child when he is unable. My only concern is since he is gone for such a long period of time is it would still be applicable. She has no issues with me, but the divorce was ugly and she is not into compromising. I don't want to be her mother, she already has one... but we are both important in each other's lives and I would like to see her, not necessarily keep her...
    Anonymous

• In some states, yes. Well, sort of.

My nephew's father deployed, but he still went to his house on his weekends. My nephew stayed with either his stepmother or his grandparents who are not blood-related to him (father's stepfather and his second wife). As my sister's ex-husband sent her a written request that this be the arrangement, it fell under his rights. Of course, had my sister had a proble with this, she could have fought it. As it was, though, she did not.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 8:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Legally, no you do not have rights. IF it is not documented in the visitation agreement, then you have nothing. However, if you are on good terms with the mother, then maybe you two can work something out. IT would be a shame for you to go a year without seeing your stepchild if you have a relationship.
    Anonymous

• Yes you do. A friend of mine went through the same thing, and her ex's wife got visitations every other weekend and certain holidays.
    sunnieday

Answer by sunnieday at 9:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2010