Not Really Talking............?

My son is a little over 2 yre old, and is it NORMAL for him to not really speak words (i mean he will say a few words here and there) other than his baby talk? i read to him and point things out and sound them out to him but he barely says his words or tries. i was just wondering if there is anything else i can do to maybe help him along in trying to speak more. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

SmittenKitten08

Asked by SmittenKitten08 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe get his hearing checked?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• you can get a free evaluation done by early intervention in your area (google it).

Answer by missanc at 9:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• well mine is the same way, he will be 2 next month and he babbles all day long but only will say a few words and thats not ona regular basis just when he wants to. i sit with him at least 10 minutes a few times a day to get him to call out body parts and count (he tries but cant pronounce the numbers). he can say nose and eye but usually wont if u ask, he can sing the spongebob themesong without speaking english, so i know he comprehends well he just has to WANT to talk! and right now he doesnt. im not overly worried but only u know your baby so if u are worried then have him evaluated
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My daughter is that way and she is almost four. We had her hearing checked and she ended up having to have tubes and she is in speech therapy. Now she is acually starting to talk and even saying sentaces but she has a long way to go. I would get his hearing checked
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think that each child starts talking when they are ready. My daughter is nearly 2 and she is the same way. My son, also the same way. When he hit the age of 3 he never stopped talking!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Take your child to his doctor and get him checked for hearing and learning problems. My friend's son was like that and, not to make you worry, but his son turned out to be autistic.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 4:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'd have him looked at... check his hearing and check on speech therapy... by 2 he should have lots of words and should be forming short sentences.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:33 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I was told my daughter needed to say atleast 50words and start making sentences by age2 or early intervention is going to test her and put her in their special education program through our school district.

My dd is 18mos. and not talking up to par. She says a few words, understands everything I tell her but she's being watched like a hawk with early intervention and our pediatrician.
    2girlsMom.MN

Answer by 2girlsMom.MN at 1:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010