Wait wait wait....its ok to get piercings and tattoos while breastfeeding?

I dont get it..how is it ok? uum HELLO infection?Hep C?tetanus? and HIV ?!!!
How is it better then FORMULA if people are gonna be careless? OMG..Breast IS BEST but people want to really RISK these things.Formula will not give your child tetanus, hep c, HIV.But have COMMON sense if your gonna breast feed.Give your child the best and freakin WAIT..They are only babies for a SHORT time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I asked my doctor about this, since I did child-led weaning and was thus bf'ing for a LONG time. Her advice was that it's as safe as the place where you get the piercing/tattooing done... provided everything is sterile, the risk is very minimal. I did personally decide to wait until dd self-weaned to get a tattoo done, because I personally felt that even though I was willing to accept the (extremely low) risk of contracting an illness through improper sterilization, I didn't think my infant should have to accept even that minimal level of risk. But my doctor did not advise against it, only advised me to do my research and find a reputable place with sterile equipment.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I absolutely agree!!!! I swear there are more instances than just peircings and tatoos but if breastfeeding is what you decide to do, stick to your decision!!! I knew mothers on drugs who were breastfeeding saying it was good for the baby........... WTF is wrong with some of these women!!!
    Anonymous

• Well, I have plenty of common sense, and I got a tattoo when DD was 2 months old. I was breastfeeding also! I didn't get any type of infection, my daughter is fine and well, and I have a beautiful tattoo of her name! I give my child the best too. It didn't seem like a risk to me, and still doesn't. So "uum HELLO" everyone is different- thats common sense.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Its a risk hun...YOU CANT TAKE THOSE BACK
    Anonymous

• Like I said, everyone is different...And I wouldn't take it back. I am currently pregnant now and plan on getting a new tattoo when this baby is born, probably around the 2 month mark also, and I will be breastfeeding....
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Selfish...
    Anonymous

• Call me what you want, it makes no difference. ;)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well when your baby gets HIV,HEP c It will :)
    Anonymous

• LOL! Umm okay! That "when" is a big "IF"!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Most places wont tattoo a pregnant woman. But of course that girl has to be noticibly pregnant for them to know unless she tells them.
    It is a risk but it is everyones own decision for themselves and their child.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2010