infant car seat bar

I have heard many different opinions of this. I was wondering if while driving the carrier bar for the infant seat should be up or down. Some people have said up in case of rollovers and others say down in case it snaps. I was just wondering if anybody has any real information or facts on this question. I have a 2 year old and always put it up and am now 8 and a half months pregnant and just wondered what everyone thought....thanks!

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 9:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• The correct answer depends upon the brand of car seat you have. Check with your manual.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Rileysmom is correct, different car seat brands will tell you different things.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It depends on the seat. Some can, some can't. If they can't it's because they haven't been crash tested with it up and there is the chance of it shattering and impailing the child. READ THE MANUEL! (Not yelling, just emphasizing :))
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 10:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My sons said down. It is what locked his car seat into the base.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• These carseats first came out in the late 80's and back then it had to be down...all the way into the 90's...so now when I see the handle up I think they have the seat unlocked...because having the handlebar of the seat folded back locks the seat into the base
    Anonymous

• i thought on all it was suppose to be down....WE are out of the infant seats but I was told down with all three we had.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Read your manual!
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• VERY few types of infant car seats allow for the bar to be up while driving.

Some say for it to be up when it's not in a base.

BUT for the most part parents are L-A-Z-Y LAZY!!! They don't want to take the time to put the bar down and back up or read the instructions on how their car seat is supposed to be installed.

It's pretty sad when you consider it's a baby's life that could be a stake.

Ours says to put it down. I've bought the same brand and type of car seat for both of my kids. We have NEVER EVER EVER driven with it up. It takes 5 dam seconds. My child's life is more important than my convience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My manuel says to put it down because the weight in the handle is part of what keeps the seat in place when it's locked into the base in the event of an accident.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I was told by a cop they have to be down he also made sure the seat was buckled correctly and she was properly secured
    ShireeCS

Answer by ShireeCS at 1:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2010