what is wrong with my 2 year old? She keeps getting a rash on her mouth like if she is teething you know how they drool and sometimes get that rash? But she isn't teething what else can it be?

She has all her teeth even her 2 year old molars. She will be 2.5 in July. She gets a runny nose a lot and this time she has one that has been running for about 2 months now. She goes to the doctor the 28th of this month. But until then can anyone tell me what is wrong with her? Her nose is sometimes green sometimes clear and it is mostly thick, but sometimes thin and she sneezes a lot I thought maybe allergies, but what is up with the redness or bumps on her chin around her mouth? It is only on the lower part of her mouth and chin.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is the dry skin on her arms and legs eczema?

Chronic runny nose, eczema, rash around the mouth - these all can be allergic responses to something. It's possible that she is reacting to something she's always had but these responses are mild enough not to jump out at you as a reaction. Keep a food diary and see if there's a connection between when the skin flare-ups and/or runny nose appears to what she's been eating. Remember to check ingredients too - not just the obvious "She had milk today.. .)

The other thing is to remember that tree pollen is EXTREMELY high this year. People that have never had problems are having problems. People that had mild problems are having more severe problems. My DD used to get just a runny nose. This year she breaks out in hives just going outside. Does your DD have environmental allergies that could be flaring up worse than usual?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It could be dry skin, a regular lotion isn't always enough, try vanicream (available without a prescription at the pharmacy counter)
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My daughter had the same thing at that age. The doctors told me it was a side effect to her teething. I just got some cream to put on it so it wouldn't bother her. If she is stuffed up though she may have allergies. This season is rough. It could be both.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 10:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Has she been eating anything new lately? My sons have gotten rashes like that because of a food allergy.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Do you wipe her face with wipes? This always causes my DD to get little red dots and irritated skin. Just keep applying aquaphor or vaseline, it will form a barrier between her skin and moisture. Its the moisture from saliva, mucous,food or whatever that strips the natural oils from the skin leaving it irritated and chapped.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• are you useing anything new wipes food diapers laundry soap anything like that ???
    Anonymous

• Sounds exactly like what happened to my son. My doctor referred us to a pediatric allergist who did allergy testing and besides outdoor allergens that caused his runny noses and cold like symptoms he also had a few food allergies and even a latex allergy which were causing a rash on his mouth and around it usually when he ate. Sometimes it would last a few hours sometimes it would last for days. They can do a skin test where they prick the skin multiple times on the back to check for allergies or you could opt for the easy route and have them draw blood real quick and do all of the testing that way. Take her to an allergist for sure. I've had problems my whole life as well (I tested positive for over 10 allergies that were serious) and never once did a doctor ever suggest it was allergies my entire life. I had every false diagnosis under the sun and actually it was just allergies!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like eczema to me. There is a wonderful cream that will probably clear it right up.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• JAIRATRAC
    No she hasn't had anything new lately. That was my first guess so I was trying to think of what she has had lately and she hasn't had anything new.

Farrahann
    No I do not wipe her face with wipes only cause she is potty trained so I haven't had to buy them lately. When I was her face with a wash cloth I only use a wet cloth I don't use soap on her face.

mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• ANON 10:39 no I am not using anything new. No foods are new, she is potty trained so no diapers, no wipes, we use the same laundry soap we always use I can't think of anything
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2010