would (have) you ever slap your child in the face?

i'm not going to post this anon because i don't feel like i have anything to hide from or be ashamed of. that said, i would like to know how many moms would (have) slap a child in the face. i very rarly even spank my children, but i have slapped a mouth a time or two. on one memorable occation, i slapped my son for spitting in my face. (still don't know what came over him!) he didn't learn this behavior at home, and i hardly think his punishment was abuse. what do you think about slapping?

bestmommyeber

Asked by bestmommyeber at 10:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have popped my 6 year old after something he said to me when I told him to clean his room. I don't know how him and his school friends talk but he learned quick I wouldn't tolerate those kinda words. I do timeout but somethings need a different action.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I never have and I never will. I am of the non-hitting philosophy. I don't think hitting (or spanking, or any physical punishment) a good way to teach a non-violent approach to the world, which is what we want to teach our children. PEACE.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 10:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• ive done it once but only because she said something that four year old shouldn't be saying. I warned her once before her language and when she did it again i popped her in the mouth it wasn't hard but it got my point across shes never said it again or any other curse words plus i made her tell me where she learned and i had to have a good long talk with my hubby about language in front of a four year old
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• ive never ever slaped my daughter in the face on her butt yes but never on her face and my daughter is goin on three i will never do that to me that is child abuse
    Anonymous

• I have never, and I would like to say I would never.... but she's not a teenager yet. who knows what could happen.
    Anonymous

• I have done it a few times. But i don't do it any more.
    After my mom died i started caring for my little brother who was 4 at the time. Any time i raised my hand (not for hitting, just for anything, ...pointing or whatever) he would flinch. I know my mom didn't beat him or anything, but she did slap his face. She probably did it a lot more then i realize.
    It was very disturbing for me to see him flinch and i have never slapped a mouth for any reason sense.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I did it once on accident my two year old came up and bit me in the back of my leg do my instinct was to swat it off but i think if it has to comedown to spanking it should be on the but, but i dont judge you cause i dont know how you felt in your shoues!
    Anonymous

• I came from an abusive home, for years my mom would slap me across my arms, always left welts. I was so worried about that before I had my kids, that I would abuse them and snap like my mom used too. I dont spank at all because of that reason. I have teenagers now, and I could never dream of slapping them across the face or anywhere else.
    Anonymous

• NO! I DO spank though. I think that is the ONLY acceptable time to strike a child... and it is not in a fit of anger or surprise. I would never swat them any where other than their behind! Also, tapping the cheek enough to just sting and SLAPPING are different. If my kid spit in my face I don' think my reaction would be to slap, but if any notion came like that i might swat his cheek, but never hit him (or her).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I did it by accident, just like anon said. I was reaching across my dd (who was two at the time) to give my son (who was 2 months old at the time) a binky. My dd BIT the back of my arm, in that very tender area, HARD. It was just a reflex and not so much a slap as a push. I felt awful, but it really was just an instinctual "get this bug off me!" reaction.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 11:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010