how can i have my 1month old son sleep threw out the night?

mokena910

Asked by mokena910 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um wait it out. He is one month. Give it time. Don't try to force sleep when he obviously needs to wake up and be fed or changed. It can take months for a baby to sleep 8 hours straight. I know you are tired, too. Take a nap or naps with him during the day and be patient.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Babies that young should not sleep all night. He needs to wake up and eat. His little body can't handle that. He also won't sleep all night until his body is reaady for it. Nothing you can do will help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Omg! Your babies one month old? They need to be fed every 2 hours, their not supposed to sleep through the night and if they do your supposed to wake them up for a feeding whether your breast feeding or bottle feeding.

Anyway, I have a 16 month old and she still don't sleep through the night...lol.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• One month is still too young to expect that...at this point just do whatever you can to get some sleep.

With my last baby, we mastered the laying side-by-side nursing position, so feeding times for baby became nap times for me.
    Anonymous

• My son is 15 months and still wakes up a few times every night.
    Some parents let their babies cry it out, i dont have the heart for that, but if you do then that may work for you.
    Really they are so young it has to come natural to them.
    I know you're frustrated and it seems like it will never end. but it will.
    Sleep when she sleeps, nap at every nap. Newborns sleep way more than babies do. So enjoy it now.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You can't. At one month, most doctors still recommend waking baby up every 3-4 hours to eat if they don't wake up on their own. That's way too young to expect it, much less to try to force it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ummm... they don't generally STTN til they're at least 6-8 months old and even then that is defined by 5 hours. Not 8.

I wouldn't expect your LO to sleep for more than 2 - 3 hours at a time til the baby is 6-8 months old. In my experience people expect too much out of newborns..

To help yourself out, try co-sleeping out. Google "safe co-sleeping" .. You could get a co-sleep crib and drag baby over to you to nurse (if you are nursing?) or you could get pre-mixed formula and put it by the bed so you just have to open it and put it in the bottle and feed and then just put baby back when done.. if they pooh you have to change them, but you can put your changing supplies next to the bed and change them groggily in bed.

I remember the first 7 months of my sons life were a haze because I couldn't co-bed (deep sleeper), but used a co-sleep crib. That's when he slept for 3 hours (7 mos). He was mostly FF, by the way.
    Anonymous

• sassy, you CANNOT let a 1 month old cry it out. The baby could DIE.
    Anonymous

• sassy, seriously, recommending CIO in a 1 month old or even saying "that might work" is like telling someone "I don't walk off while my 4 month old is in a bath, but, some people do and you could I guess". 1 month olds that don't voluntarily sleep for 5 hours could get severe low blood sugar if the mom just lets the baby cry.. not to mention failure to thrive. Seriously?? My goodness some people need to draw the line at being "non-judgmental"

Would you call me judgmental if I told another mother she was being over-zealous to expect her 1 y/o to be potty trained? Or her 5 year old to read a novel? Or her 7 year old to drive a car? Or how about her 1 month old to sleep through the night? Jeez.
    Anonymous

• Is this a joke? Babies don't sleep through the night at one month. It would be nice but it doesn't happen. I was lucky with my first and he would sleep for 5 hour stretches after eating but even that stopped after a while.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010