Miralax for a 10 yo

I'm trying to give my cousin idea's on how to get her 10 yo to take his miralax. He complains of the pain of defecating but refuses to drink a miralax mixture. Any suggestions?!

lmsar

Asked by lmsar at 11:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Don't they make a pill? Have him swallow a pill. Or drink some prune or apple juice or water. Give him more fiber in his diet. I would try all these before making him choke that liquid down. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I went through this with my son at that age. At that time Miralax was by perscription only. Its powder right? You can slip it in any drink really. My son was diagnosed with,,,,,I hope I type this right,,,Incopresis,,,without spell check Im sunk here,,,He appeared to be having the runs when actually he was so backed up with stool. It was horrible. I went through 3 doctors and finally got the referral I needed to a childrens hospital dr,,who diagnosed it in about a minute flat. The pediatriacins wanted to put him on depression meds, recommended diarehea meds. But I knew it was something else. It was a long journey,,but he is a-ok today.
    Anonymous

• I forgot,.,also,,,make sure he is getting lots of fiber in his diet. Bran is so important and there are some great tasting cerela out there. Keep him away from chocolate,,,that always used to bind my son up and anylthing on the brat diiet. Have you heard of that before? Its is binding up food for a child who cant keep anything down. Banannas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
    Anonymous

• Miralax mixed in water cannot be tasted. My son was on it at 5 years old and he had no problem drinking it. It tasted like normal water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I take Miralax daily and honestly, I can taste it in my drink even though they say you can't so I understand. I would just buy it for him in tablet/liquid gel form and make him take it that way. He is old enough to be able to swallow a pill and it will do the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2010