new booster seat law. . .

i live in ohio and a law was passed in november that all children under 72 lbs are to be in a booster seat. i didn't weigh 72lbs untill 7th grade. does anyone else think that's a bit rediculous? it's a secondary offence, so you can't get a ticket for it unless you were pulled over for some other reason, but even so, i don't think a 12 yr old without a booster seat is child endangerment. thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always wondered about little people(dwarfs)...they are sometimes carseat size and yet they get to drive anything they choose to.
    at what point should the booster seat law apply and not apply?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Crap, I weighed 72#'s when I was 16....that would just be freaking embrarrasing! I do think that it is a b it much for children over 10 to be in booster seats.
    Anonymous

• the law here is 9 years old or 4'9", cause that's the average height that a car seat belt fits properly without a booster. i don't see how weight would help them fit a seatbelt better.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• here is 4'9" because that is the heigt when a belt fits right. my daughter is 8 and weighs only 54ib but she is 4'10" and no longer needs a booster.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think that's a great law, I wish they would do that in more state. Children die all the time because they are put into boosters when they should still be harnessed.
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My mom is 4'9" and when she was married, before she had me, she weighed 88lbs. She would have been happy to sit in a seat so she could see and have the belt not cut into her neck. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• well I am all for safety but my 6yr old complains becuase his friends are not in booster so imagine if I kept him there till 6th grade or so?! LOL he is already 50 pounds but doesn't gain too much now. Now I thought it had to do more with height and how the seat belt fit them. if they are small I rather them be protected but if they are in high school and tiny yeah too much! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Here in TX it's up to the age of 8. Once a kid turns 8 they don't need to sit in a booster. I think 72 lbs is a bit high. I understand wanting to keep kids safe but this is a bit much.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Try doing some research. The law says 4'9 or 7 years old.  See?

gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I wonder how much money the carseat lobby pays for this? We didn't have booster seats when I was growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Apr. 14, 2010