Police Advising Paternity Test?

So my cousin found out she was pregnant about a month ago (she is about 8wk now I think). Her boyfriend asked her to marry him, she said no, they haven't been together that long, and since then things have been a bit rocky. A little over a week ago he took off. She was trying to get ahold of him to get some OB/GYN questions answered, he called her from his new gf's phone...Cuz didn't handle it the best, and she knows it, starts texting the new gf. The police get involved, he has cop friends (bro a cop etc etc), anyhow when the police officer called her today to tell her to knock it off or it will be xyz charges, and she mentioned the baby, he told her "you know you need a blood test anyhow to prove that," is she being paranoid to think that's a friend? but am i right that it was a beyond inappropriate comment? To make it odder the cop called today and told her he's coming by tomorrow regarding this. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i don't think it's inappropriate. She should prove it's his kid.
    Anonymous

• I don't really understand your question.
    Anonymous

• there's not really a way to do that until November except amnio is there?
    Anonymous

• Their not married so why should she NOT have to prove it's his kid???
    Anonymous

• i do not think the police would have said that to her, i think they would have gone to her house and talked to her in person. whomever said that must have been one of his friends. i asked my dad and that was his answer, he has been a cop for 25+ years now....
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 11:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It'll have to wait until after the baby is born unless an amnio is medically required. Doctor's usually won't do them spacifically for paternity reasons because there are a lot of risk involved.

In the mean time she will not be able to force him to buy anything or pay for anything. After paternity is proven she will have to take him to court for child support and then in a seperate suit she can sue him for half of her out of pocket medical expenses but as far as anything she buys for the baby she's not going to get any of that back.

Sorry. :( This is what happens when people have sex so quickly. I DO wish people wouldn't rush into bed.
    Anonymous

• Anon 54: Me and my boyfriend aren't married and we have 2 kids and 1 on the way. With the first 1 we only knew each other 3 weeks before having sex and me getting pregnant. He has never once questioned him being the daddy of that baby.

OP: He sounds like an ass but if he gets tested and the baby is his he will have to pay child support. If I were her I would start planning on getting the test as soon as that baby is born. Amino wouldn't be an option for me(too many risks).

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I agree w/ people rushing to bed, and I do think they did, but it wasn't a one night stand.

She doesn't want to force him to buy anything she was trying to contact him for medical history info since this guy is like twice her age, and has a form of a disease like parkinsons and who knows what else is going on in his gene pool. It gets better too that he's a tattoo artist that hasn't filed taxes in YEARS...and he has like 6 kids scattered about PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE A TEST TO BREED.

Amnio is scarrry no one should be forced so that's good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• An officer should never say that to anyone, if it was meant maliciously. Since the ex guy is such a douchebag to out right just leave your cousin for another girl, I suggest she does get a paternity test so the "prize winner" can pay child support. I also suggest that your cousin doesn't act stupidly like that again because charges can be brought against her and she doesn't need any more stress while being pregnant.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The officer was probably just mentioning it because she has no proof the kid is his and she can't harass his new gf over this baby. To get anything out of him she will have to have a DNA test. And a cop can tell you that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2010