How did you introduce your new baby to your toddler?

Our second son is due exactly a week prior to our first son's 2nd bday. How did you introduce your toddler to your baby. It's really important to us that he feels special and apart of the welcoming process of the baby.
Thanks!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 11:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well my girlfriend and I introduced our 2 year old by letting him see the baby, explained that he wasn't in MomMoms belly anymore that he wanted to come out and be part of the family. And he welcomed him with open arms.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 11:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well, the whole time I was pregnant we kept telling them a baby was in my belly and going to live in our house. We used the baby's name once we found out the sex so it was really familiar. When my second was born our first was only 13 months so we really didn't do anything else other than that. When my daughter was born the boys were 20 months and 33 months. We took them to target before Kate was born and they each picked a little doll out for her. When my inlaws brought them to the hospital after she was born they brought the doll and gave them to her. They were very excited to buy her a present.
    Anonymous

• My toddlers really never gave much thought to their new siblings. My oldest was 2 1/2 when #2 was born, #2 was 18 months when #3 was born. They would look at them, visited them in the hospital, etc. but after they came home they pretty much ignored them until they were old enough to play with. There was no jealousy, behavior problems, etc.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• we plan on having my son in the room when baby is born.
    i try to keep my son involved in the pregnancy. we talk to the baby and he gives baby loves and kisses, and we "wake baby up". lol he'll shake my belly and say wake up. very cute. he's 19 mo.
    i'm hoping that there won't be any issues w/ jealousy. he's a very big momma's boy. he has been being a little more attached to dh, so maybe that's a sign.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son was 2 years 6 months old when his sister was born and he was in the room for her birth so there was no introducing her to him... he saw her make her entrance into the world. I had an epi so I knew it wouldnt be hard for him to watch and I had someone there who was willing to leave the room with him if need be. The other thing I did that I think was really good was that I had his dad pick him up the morning that we were due to get discharged and we all drove home together. That way we went home as a family instead of bringing her home to him or having someone bring him home to her being in the house. But I HIGHLY recommend getting a present for him to give the new baby and one for the new baby to give him
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:52 PM on Apr. 14, 2010