How did you introduce your new baby to your toddler?

Our second son is due exactly a week prior to our first son's 2nd bday. How did you introduce your toddler to your baby. It's really important to us that he feels special and apart of the welcoming process of the baby.
Thanks!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 11:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are 23 ninths apart,,,and they are 17 and 15..lol...trying to remember here. I involved dd in the pregnancy with her little brother as much as I could. He had to go to the pre-natal unit b/c he had a breathing porblem. I remember my husband bringing her to the hospital to see her little bro form behind the glass of the neo unit, She just fell in love with him. We couldnt bring him home for 3 days after his birth and she just totally connected with that. She wanted her new little brother home asap. To think I have these teens now who are at each others throats one minute and best friends thte next,,,life is so amazing! Enjoy every second mama,,,they will be just fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I spent the entire pregnancy telling my son that there was a baby in my belly and I would show him babies. When I had my baby my mom brought my son to the hospital and we told him that the baby was his brother. We had him hold him(not recommended he tried to throw him) I was right there but still. He did not like his brother until he was home from the hospital and he started crying. My 2 year old ran over to him and was trying to take care of him.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My girls are 20 months apart, and I found that we didn't have to do much explaining. She seemed to just know that this was "her" baby. Prior to having our baby, my toddler would get very upset if I held another baby, and was very much a momma's girl. So I was very very nervous about having two little ones. If I was nursing, my older child would cuddle with us too. We let her hold the baby as often as she wanted, and after about a week of that, she didn't care so much anymore. It was a nice transition.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2010