Freaking out! BFing Question

I week and a half ago I got terrible thrush on my nipples followed by a clogged milk duct. I was prescribed nystatin as well as a 7 day diflucan regiment. It’s doing a lot better now. However I have noticed a huge drop in my milk supply! My 7 month old sucks and starts cring because there is barely a let down. I’m freaking out and feel terrible! I have noticed a drop in her wet diapers. She doesn’t eat any solids yet either. I’m desperate to continue breastfeeding and have not supplemented at all but she is so unhappy at the breast. I’ve started fenugreek 4 caps 3 times daily. I’m now so stressed cause wverytime I try to feed her she gets upset. Also her poop has recently become a green color. Anything I could do? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok, calm down try massaging your breast and try using a heating pad. I would supplement a little, just so baby gets it's nutrients and vitamins, but you need to call your ob/doctor as soon as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I've never heard of diflucan decreasing supply! Goodness! Poor mama!

Stop taking the diflucan if you're still taking it. You could do probiotics, grapeseed oil extract, and vinegar to help cure the yeast the rest of the way!

Anyway, nurse nurse nurse. Drink tons of water. Get mother's milk tea. Eat oatmeal. Eat plenty in general. If worst comes to worst you could supplement in a syringe with formula or sugar water. What's her diaper count? As long as it's above 3 sposies or 5 cloths she's not getting dehydrated and will be fine til your supply increases more. Yes she is not going to be happy but she will be okay for a couple of days. It'd be like if she had a bug or something. You can push through this mama! You can give her sugar water or formula in a syringe now if you think she is suffering from hunger. But don't do much, and nurse nurse nurse. You can get through this.

Good luck and hugs to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I would only supplement maybe an half an ounce now and then in a syringe .. this of course is depending on her diaper counts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• And what the heck is the ob/doc going to tell her anon 12:24.. exactly what I just did.. cept maybe say "oh maybe you need to stop nursing" or something else asinine like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Drink more water, calm down and let baby nurse as often as she can. Her demand will cause you to make more milk. Talk to your pediatrician and find out what they think is too few wet diapers. If you are still having trouble, talk to a lactation specialist. Most hospitals with a birthing unit have lactation specialists.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Vitex!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Go to a DOCTOR.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 2:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i definately think u and baby need a recheck at the doctor. she may hv some thrush also which is y she is so fussy.ask the doctor. u need to b careful with this because u dont want to get mastitisis--an infection in the milk glands of the breast. its very painful, u get very sick and its almost impossible to nurse thru it as u r so sick and it really hurts. so go to the doctor. make a LIST OF WHAT U NEED TO TELL HIM/HER so u dont leave anything out. a call to a lactation consulant after the doc is a good idea too. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Mother's Tea. I never needed it, but I heard it increases your milk supply. in the meantime supplementing is better than letting baby starve. Stress will affect your letdown so calm down. Try drinking some water while you nurse. And yes take her to the pediatrician to make sure she doesn't have an infection. An ear infection can cause them to not want to nurse because it hurts them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Green poo could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. She probably went through a growth spurt recently, right? Try block feeding (nurse only one side for 2 feedings, then switch sides). It could also be that she has a dairy sensitivity. Not all allergies/sensitivities present themselves right away. When you say that her dipe count has dropped, how many is she having total in 24hrs? 5 or more we and/or poopy are what she needs to be putting out. Kellymom.com has tons of great info on suppy, supply issues and diper counts.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2010