Racism?? Do you care?

I am black. However when I talk to my white friends about the pain I feel when people make racist comments...They do not get it. Is it a lack of empathy? Or is it a matter of them just not caring? If you are white does racism not mean any thing to you? Does it hurt? Are you angry? Do you care? How come people are so concerned about the color of someone's skin. If you were blind would it matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, i did know a blind man who was racist.

Here's my thing though. I am not racist. In fact, i used to be so color blind that i once got accused of being racist because i did not include a black person for what were doing. Really, it wasn't about who was white or black. It was about who around me had helped me out in the same way. ...I didn't even realize i was being accused of racism. All but two of my friends (1 white, 1 black) had left the room to argue about it and so i carried on doing what i wanted to with my two friends.

...so ya see. I am now SCARED of being accused of racism. As i think many white people are. ...So who was really racist? Me, for not noticing that i had not chosen someone of color to be included in my thing? Or the black girl who jumped to conclusions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Your friends are probably incredibly uncomfortable. They don't want to say anything that may be perceived in the wrong way. They feel that since they are white they cannot say anything on the topic of racism, and if they do than they will be called a racist.
    It is an EXTREMELY touchy subject. No one wants to say anything in fear that it may come off wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I know where you are coming from. Too many blacks jump to conclusions. I am totally on board with that. As I said before i am black and I do not jump to conclusions. I have several family members who are white. I just need to understand if pwopwl of another color really understand how much it hurts when racist comments are made?
    Anonymous

• I honestly do not care about the color of someone's skin. My entire family is racist. I hate it and as a child fought with them over it. I hate it all the ways it comes. Just not black and white, but I can't stand a dark cuban screaming "monkey" to a darker person regardless if he/she is family (trust me, I have been there). I see it pointless and a narrow minded thought path they are too unfortunate to have. But also more than ever it is a CHOICE to be racist. They choose not to see what lies behind someone's appearance. You do have a right to be hurt over this, but never let it bring you down. I am white as a ghost, and don't see you any different than me. I hope more people do care about this topic so we can teach our children to forget about what you see on the out side and dig deep into that person's heart. To respect and love one another. Don't let the mean comments get into your heart, know you are strong and beautiful!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Racist remarks piss me off no matter who they are directed at. I have been called white trash, cracker, honky and some others that I can't remember. I never understood why someone would call someone a name based on the color of their skin. It really pisses me off when people use racist terms around my kids as they have a black uncle(adopted) and my sister's boyfriend is also black. Plus my oldest is part Mexican.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• wow...lots of anons on this one...here's my thing. I don't give a rats ass what color you are, as long as you don't use it as leverage....i.e.....they can't fire me b/c Im black or hispanic. As long as I don't hear that, then I don't care. and slavery is another annoying one...how many years ago was that??? gimme a break. It's over, you're in america....nobody cares.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Actually calliesmommie it really wasn't that long ago. less then 150 years, even? in the grand scheme of history that is not a long time. Some one's great grandma was probably a slave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't like racist remarks, even if it is someone being funny. I don't think it is funny when comedians do it. I feel a racist remark is a racist remark. It really bugs me when I hear people get so bent out of shape when the N word is mentioned, but it is okay when a black comedian says it. But if a white person says it, even if they are being funny they are being racist. I don't think it is okay in either situation. I know what it is like to be treated badly for something you can not control. I feel that ALL people deserve to be treated like human beings, no matter what their physical appearance may be.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Sounds like your friends aren't really your friends if they don't care enough about you not to offend you. Honestly I've found that other races tend to be more racist than white people. Atleast that's the type of people I've met. I can't stand when people use the race card either. Even though it happens I don't think anyone should be treated better or worse because of their colour. As long as you're not a total douche, I could care less if you're black, white, yellow or neon green! That goes for if you ARE a total douche too lol Ignorance is colour blind.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 2:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The one thing I hate about racism is that black people think they are the only victims. In this day in age you've got so many, black, whites, hispanic, etc. The list is nearly endless when you stop to think about it. My family has whites, blacks, hispanic, and asian so I don't feel like I'm racist. But some topics really get to me. Like the whole white people owe blacks mony for the slavery. Its understandable to be angery, but not to expect someone to pay you for something that never happened to you. I'm not sure what your friends are thinking, but I wouldn't dwell on it to hard.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2010