nipple thrush

what does it look like/feel like??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just got bright red, hot, and sore. Some itching.
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It burns. It feels like you have a hot sword stabbing your nipple. Usually the tip of the nipple will get very red & tender as well. Sometimes, though not always, you may see little white dots near the ducts as well. The burning though, is the worst & most common symptom.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP HERE ok so i don't have the red dots. the tips of my nipples are white and I get pains in my nipples and breast when not breastfeeding. any ideas??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It could still be thrush; not all women have all the symptoms. You can try using gentian violet on yourself AND baby for a few days and see if that clears it up, since gv is an herb you don't need to go to the doctor for it, or you can go to the doctor and ask them to check for thrush. IF it is thrush, you and the baby have to be treated at the same time to prevent passing it back and forth.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• are the tips of your nipples only white after nursing? or all the time?

if its only after nursing, id say the pain is due to a bad latch. if its all the time, and your baby has white in its mouth, then id say its thrush. when i had thrush on my nipples when i was nursing my 2nd, i didnt see anything different with my nipples at all, just the pain. but the dr. gave me a cream to use, and it went away in a couple of days.
    LKLMommy

Answer by LKLMommy at 10:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP HERE, they are white all the time. baby has no white in mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipple-blanching.html  It could also be this.  If you go to the doctor and thrush is negative, it could be nipple blanching.  Also check this for thrush info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2010