How can I get my husband to respect my opinion?

When it comes to just about anything, (jobs, parenting, housework) my husband never wants to hear what I have to say. In fact, he dismisses my point before I even say it, as if he does not believe I could ever be right or have anything valuable to say. Whenever we are trying to make decisions, he consults his dad and ALWAYS takes his dad's opinion over mine, even though his dad has consistently let him down and disappointed him. How can I get him to respect my opinion?

EPH5-1

Asked by EPH5-1 at 2:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I think this is a man thing. I usually make a suggestion and then wait. *A WHILE*. After a while he says, "Hey, I was talking to so and so at work about...(the thing I was talking about) and he says I should do ....(the thing I said to do.)" I just smile and nod. I know my hubby respects my opinion. But, sometimes he has control issues. Oh well. He is such a great guy in other ways that I kind of let this fault slide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Have you told him how you feel?
    If you have tried, did you do it in such a way as to not pass blame onto him?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:44 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Well it sounds like you need to sit him down and tell him he is disrespecting you by not taking you opinion into the matter. Being married is a partnership, if he can't respect your opinion or suggestions, then there's no foundation. Talk to him about it. Let him know how your feeling, and try to come up with ways (together) to change the problem and find a solution.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 2:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Over time.
    Anonymous

• He gets very angry and defensive when i bring it up. I try very hard not to make it feel like an attack, he is especially sensitive when i tell him i feel disrespected. He was in the military and says that i don't respect what he has done for me. My respect and esteem for him was what made me fall in love with him. I think maybe all I can do is love him, and wait for him to realize that I'm smart.
    EPH5-1

Answer by EPH5-1 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2010