Juice mixed with formula or no?

Can you put juice in formula to ease infant constipation? If so, for a 6oz feeding, could it be 5oz water + 1oz Gerber Apple Juice and then make 6oz formula like that OR 5oz formula already made + 1oz juice in the same bottle? Can you do that? If not, when I make a seperate water + juice combo should I give it to him before a meal, after a meal, or between meals?? What works best??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my DS prune juice in his formula (he doesn't seem to like the taste of it alone). What I usually do is mix a bottle like normal (don't dilute or concentrate it) and then add 1 ounce of juice in. It works just fine. He will drink pear juice without formula but it doesn't seem to have as strong an effect as prune juice for my little guy. BTW, his pediatrician was the one who recommended adding juice into the formula if the kid prefers it.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• You're not saying how old your child is. Juice is not recommended for infants under 6 months old. I would honestly just use a suppository.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Hm. When my mom brought up mixing it with the formula I thought she was nuts because I had never even heard that brought up before, but here we go! LOL. I'm curious as well! I usually just give my lil guy some juice/water seperately, usually after a smaller meal or when he gets really fussy between meals. Depending on his constipation level it'll either be 3-4oz water to 1/2-2oz juice.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Op - He is 6 months but his doctor gave the O.K. for juice at 4 months for constipation but we didn't really have the need until now since he is on solids finally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i wouldnt mix the juice with the formula. it probrbly will not work as well, gv it separetly when he is constipated before or between meals. u want him to hv it so it works so he doesnt get more uncomfortable. juice works best alone mixed with water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I used to mix the juice with cereal, (in place of the water/breastmilk/formula). One of my kids had lots of problems this way, so sometimes I would even use prune juice with the cereal, it always seemed to work.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Do NOT use a suppository. Just give him PEAR juice and mix with equal parts of water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Take him to a chiropractor if you want treatment for constipation.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Since he's on solids anyway, why not just give him some baby prunes? They always worked so much better than any juice!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Juice and formula ewwwwwwwww!!! Give it in separate bottles. Dilute the juice in a 50/50 mixture with water. But I agree with the above poster if he's eating solids give him prunes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2010