Guardianship for someone 20 years of age

My sister just moved here from NM and we are planning to go to the bar for Karaoke, and a celebration of her recent marriage since none of the family could attend. My mother will be there, but not sure for how long. In SD it is legal for my sister to be at the bar drinking as long as our mother is there. But I was wondering if that my mother hand wrote a note stating that I was her guardian for the time that she is not there, if that would work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A legal document isn't a legal document unless it's signed and notarized.

With that being said, no I do not think so. You would probably need to have guardianship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I am 3:42...

Guardianship recognized legally through a judge and a court system... Meaning you would need to go to court to arrange it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I have never heard that someone can drink in a bar if there mother is there. In my state you have to be 21 period evem if your mother is there or not 21 is the drinking age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The thing is, since she's 20, she's a legal adult, so your mom isn't her guardian anymore anyway. And, since she's married, your mom wouldn't be her legal next of kin anymore, either.

So honestly, I don't think a letter is going to help you any.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yeah, South Dakota is really weird (I've only lived here for the past two years). If you are over the age of 18 but under 21 you are legally able to go to a bar, and drink any type of alcohol. If you google state drinking laws, you will find there are a few states that are the same way. And yeah that's what I figured but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks.
    Anonymous