Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure where to post this, hopefully someone here can help?

Our landlords are renovating our apartment complex and told us we had to move from one to another because ours was considered "critical". Well when we went in to sign our least, they informed us we had to pay to move to another unit. We also have to pay another security deposit to transfer all our utilities to that unit. We are in low income housing and really can't afford it. Is it even allowed? They charged us by the week to get our stuff from one unit to another. What would you do? I am lost and my husband is on unemployment and I know we can't afford all the extra charges. Do you think we should say something? My husband is worried they will up our rent if we do, but I told him they can't because we have a fixed income. What do you think? Please help..........


Asked by jnsdrf at 4:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 20 (8,954 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You should call the agency that actually runs the low income program (that would be the office where you first applied for low income housing- where i live it's Social Services or NECAC) and find out what is and is not allowed for landlords to do. It sounds like they are jerking you around trying to get more money. DH's grandmother lives in low income housing; she was recently moved to another apartment and back while they renovated the entire complex. She did not have to pay extra for anything, and since she is disabled, they even helped her move in and out for free.

    Answer by preacherskid at 9:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

  • If they are forcing you to move then they cannot force you to pay for it. I would be complaining left and right.

    Answer by Tf1990 at 5:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

  • hmmm... that sounds unethical to me unless you are at the end of your lease on your first place-if you are in the middle of the lease-I would think there would be no charges to change units-if your lease is up on your first place and you are month to month (or week to week) then legally they can charge, but ethically knowing the population they are dealing with has a fixed income you would think they would be more understanding of the burden they are putting on people. Since your husband is not working right now, maybe you can barter some labor on the renovations in return for them waiving some of the costs associated with the move. It may help you in the short term and who knows, may lead to some income in the longer term. It never hurts to ask!

    Answer by soyousay at 9:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

  • Thank you all for the answers. We had 4 months left on our lease when they told us they wanted us to move. I am going to call the housing authority and see what they have to say. I just wanted others input before doing so. Thank you all again....

    Answer by jnsdrf at 1:08 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

  • This is illegal. I'm a manager of a duplex and you cannot legally do that especially if your on section 8 or other government housing. I would call the housing authority ASAP and let them duke it out, because ultimately they are the ones paying your rent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010