poop withholding

My ds is 3 and has not pooped in a week .. I have tried everything I know to try .. fruit, juice, laxitives .. I can't get him to go .. any ideas or do I need to take him to the dr?

ahyesme

Asked by ahyesme at 5:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this is merely an excercise of his control. you can try two things IMO
    1. start letting him on a daily basis throughout the day make his own choices about lunches, what to wear, what to watch, and so forth. let him feel as though he does have some control over his own life and choices.
    2. give him a daily dose of mineral or castor oil, like a half teaspoon or even a prune juice with breakfast and then sit him down on the potty every day at the same time and read to him, read read read and talk talk talk for about 40 minutes.
    the oil/juice will prevent him from being able to hold it, and the reading time allows him to relax and get on a schedule with regular bowel movements. Within a few days, you should have some regular routine going.
    Right now about the only thing he can control is his bodily functions and behavior, so he's enjoying it as much as he can. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Bring him to the doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 5:29 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Is he ever with other people throughout the week? and maybe went while he was with them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2010