Was the mother's fault?

For letting the doctor terminate the life one of her twins?

A Sarasota, Florida, OBGYN, who aborted the wrong baby in a woman carrying twins, has lost his license to practice. That's nothing at all compared to what the mother has lost.
Here is the sad story:
The unidentified woman conceived twins, a girl and a boy, through in vitro fertilization. She was about four months along when doctors advised her to terminate the male baby after discovering he had multiple health problems, including Down syndrome. The girl appeared normal in an ultrasound.

So she scheduled the appointment with her doctor, Matthew J. Kachinas, who mistakenly injected the chemical abortive into the girl.
About two weeks later, the woman returned to the doctor for follow-up, only to discover that the boy was still alive. He then performed a second "selective termination" procedure.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/101474/doctor_terminates_wrong_twin

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The baby according to tests had downs syndrome and a heart defect. The other baby appeared normal. The doctor did tell the parents he had no experience with doing a selective abortion. They agreed to have him do it anyway. When he aborted the child they wanted and found out the child they didn't want was alive they had him abort that child. I honestly don't see why he is losing his license. He did make a mistake but many doctors make mistakes and keep their jobs. George Tiller killed more than one woman in his time as an abortion doctor and 5 kids were born alive after late term abortions in his office. He never lost his license. The couple used invitro to concieve these to precious children I certainly hope they were not given another chance to get pregnant only to destroy more children because they are not "perfect".
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yep....... That's what happens when you play GOD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Wow that is terrible. I am 100% against abortion so it may sound mean of me to say this but: This is what happens when you decide to kill a baby because you do not want to deal with the fact that your child will be different and not your image of a "perfect" baby.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• That is the Dr's fault. Down syndrom was not the only illness it said the child had multiple illnesses. You have no clue what the others where and if he would have even been able to live out side the womb. Pregnancies with multiples are a higherisk and with one having so many issues it could cause preterm labor putting both at risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Anon :41 she was already 4 months along even if she had a preterm birth with in a few weeks the healthy baby could be saved. 23 weeks in generally the age that they can save the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• that's horrible! oOo, you're baby's not gonna be perfectly healthy, big deal, it's not his fault. like Ctink, I'm completely against abortion. "Oh look, I got twins, but I don't want one cuz he's sick" What if you have a baby that develops health problems as a child. Would you want to kill it then? I don't think so.
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• What kind of fertility clinic does this? Is the Doctor's fault.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• What kind of society does this? They are both at fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• * AirForceWife14

AirFo...
    that's horrible! oOo, you're baby's not gonna be perfectly healthy, big deal, it's not his fault. like Ctink, I'm completely against abortion. "Oh look, I got twins, but I don't want one cuz he's sick" What if you have a baby that develops health problems as a child. Would you want to kill it then? I don't think so.

An I'll bet you're one of those who thinks that a birth defect is god's way of teaching a lesson...*shakes head*

This is sad, but we're already over populated- If you are HAVING to go the IFV route, you shouldn't be having children... Mother nature selected you NOT to breed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Obby that was mean
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2010