Manners

Do you teach your children to eat whatever they're offered at someone else home, regardless of whether or not they like it?

Does it hurt your feelings when a guest turns their nose up at your cooking?

My Grandma would tell us that you always take whats offered to you because it makes others feel good. If they want to give you an ugly blanket, you take it and say thank you very much.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• We usually don't go to anyones house, so I can't really answer that one. As far as my own cooking, the only one that has ever turned it down was MIL and that's cuz she knows I cook better then she does.

I do have to admit that I agree with your Grandma, I have a quilt my mom made me. Ugly thing you've ever seen ( we won't go into the fact the ones she made for my sisters are not only gorgeous but matched their bedroom colors!) But I would always pull it out and have it on the bed when she came to visit. She's passed on now so I don't have to look at it anymore.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yes - my kids know that when they go to someone's house, they have to eat what they are offered. And everytime before Christmas and birthdays we go over what to say if someone gives you something you don't like or already have (something along the lines of thank you, plus at least one nice thing about the gift). To me, tact and manners are very important and I'm passing that on to my kids.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2010