If bipolar medication works why does this happen?

If bipolar medication works why do people stop taking their medication when they're on a "high"? If the medication works doesn't it stop them from hitting those extremes?

It is possible that I don't understand how the medication works, which is why I'm asking. With recent studies showing that antidepressants don't work for a lot of people I'm really curious about this stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Health

• Im bipolar and I can tell you I have stopped meds periodically because I just want to "be normal". I hate the fact that I have to take drugs to be a functioning memeber of society and not some raving lunatic! I still hit those extreme highs at certain times like spring and summer. I dont know if that anwsered your question thats just my experience.
    Pammie8

Answer by Pammie8 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It's not an 'extreme' for me. It's like 'well Im happy and I feel fine, I don't need this medication now'. The side effects can suck too. One of mine actually made me eat in my sleep. I have been off my meds for 2 years now and Im fine. I still have 'highs' and 'lows', but I found other ways to deal with it. I couldn't take the side effects. I was not myself. It was very strange.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm bi polar and let me tell you the side effects SUCK!!! I have been off meds for 5 yrs now. I have found that taking B-12 helps me out a lot. There are ways to "treat" it that are natural and they really work. Another thing that bothered me is they put me on a seizure medication for the side effects of it. I didn't like the idea of taking a med for something that I did not have.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I agree with sunshine....when folks are on their meds, they feel like they are fine and that they don't need them anymore. When in reality they are feeling fine because of the meds. They don't realize that they need them until they are off of them again. They just want to feel normal and not have to take meds all of the time. I can completely relate. Side effects are also really stinky!
    Anonymous

• What are the natural ways to treat bipolarity?
    Anonymous

• OP- can you send me a friend request? I am bipolar too.
    Cathy1983km

Answer by Cathy1983km at 10:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i am also bi-polar. i am on only a anti-depressant now bacause i still nurse my baby. but befor when i was on lamictal, i felt really good and it kept me level. but i did take a med that made me eat at night too. i have gained A LOT of weight due to all of this. yes, it is true that you will feel so good and decide that you no longer need your meds, only to find out that with out them you feel like sh*t. i have done this many times. lol
    Anonymous