How can I show love to a teenaged daughter creatively?

We just moved, and the girl has become withdrawn.

Rose44

Asked by Rose44 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• take her to do something special, just the two of you.
    I always wanted to fly in a open cock pit plane when I was young. My parents couldnt afford it, but when I got my first job i went to the local airport and found someone who would do it for 100 bucks plus gas.
    Horseback riding
    mani/pedi/spa day
    new hair dos for both
    try something that will make her feel more confident, that will also help her make friends.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Yeah, that's a tricky one. Mine just turned 21 so I've been in your shoes. Have you moved quite a way from where you use to be? If so, what about an "let's explore" day with her. Find a good city map, maybe even look up some places online you'd like to find, some of her favorite places to shop? Or even a walking park or someplace with a small lake to go feed the ducks/turtles. If you did move away she's probably missing her friends, or in my case when I was 16 and we moved...from north of Seattle to a teeny speck town on the map in Montana...I was the new kids almost forever!

Just doing a 'mom and me' day might help. If you're feeling a little weird about being in a new place, letting her know that might help - ooo just had a thought lol what about planning a re-do of her room, making it really hers? Find me a woman that doesn't like to re-do rooms! lol Good luck let us know how it's going.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I am going through the same thing, but my daughter is ready to move.

She would like to wait until the end of the school year, and that is what I am doing. She is withdrawn now, and I can't seem to get through to her.

Lately, I am watching videos with her, trying to get her to draw she is search a great artist. So, we are going to start painting together. I would try to get involved in anything she likes whether it be dancing, videos, drawing, reading. Try to get her engaged, it seems to be working lately. Good luck, and i feel for you.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• What is she into? does she like art sports, music? Maybe you can have a movie night just the two of you and load up on the junk food. It's spring time maybe the two of you can get a garden going together. Go to the pound and get a cat or dog together and have fun picking out a name. Go to the mall and just have some time just the two of you.
    MamaK1985

Answer by MamaK1985 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My other got a picture board and decorated in the same color as my room and put puctures of us on it... I love it to this day
    Perfection1908

Answer by Perfection1908 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Teen aged girls are the hardest to get through to as well as to get to talk back to you. When I was a teen, all I wanted was someone to sit. Just sit with me, be there with me. Not ask me questions, or badger me, just sit and wait for me to open. My daughter would rather be verbal and physical with her anger. We are past that now and she sees that I just want to be a sounding board for anything she has to throw at me. Just be there for her. Show her ALL of your patience and give her all the time she needs. She will get through her adjusting period easier when she knows you are there for her ALWAYS.
    auntifrog

Answer by auntifrog at 1:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2010