Do you think this is rude?

I have a 14 month old and for short spurts of time when we are out of the house, grocery or clothes shopping, I will let him out of his stroller to run around.

Occasionally he'll knock things down, but I pick them up. Mostly he just runs up to people and smiles at them, waves, babbles, or stares at them. Most people smile, say "how cute", or engage him directly, a couple will give the half smile and continue on.

Should I keep him in his stroller/cart all the time? or is letting him out for short periods ok?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as for him knocking stuff over thats any kid if you let them run around. but i would find it irritating if her were to run upto random strangers like that. thats basically teaching him its ok to talk to strangers.
    yummy_mommy89

Answer by yummy_mommy89 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• As long as you are looking after him and being responsible for anything he may do and it's not in a place where his running around could be a disturbance (ie. the library, etc), I think it's fine. In fact I hate to see kids all cooped up in strollers and never getting out to run around.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 9:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• That is kinda irritating. It's one thing to let him hold your hand or walk beside you. But letting him run wild in the store isn't polite. Especially if he is knocking things over.  I'm willing to bet some of the people smiling and saying 'how cute' are just being polite and biting their tongues.  Ive done it lots of times to spare feelings.  Make your trips shorter, bring another adult with you to help, or leave him at home if he wont stay in the stroller or hold your hand..

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't think you should keep him in the stroller the whole time but running around knocking things over is definitely rude. Try to get him to stay near you or have him exercise a little more control. Just letting him run wild is definitely a no-no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• he's not running wild by any means. but he does like to look at stuff on the shelves or whatever, or he'll lean up against something, or a clothes hanger will get caught on him. he stays by the cart, and he comes when I call him, and know what no means.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Personally, I would understand seeing as how I have a 16 month old. She loves to wave and talk to everyone she sees, BUT, We never let her run around wild in public places, because of safety for one, and I think it would teach her bad habits as she gets older. I like to let her hold my hand while we walk, but most of the time she knows that she has to stay right beside me if I let go of her. She likes to help me pick out the groceries and things, and I think its a good learning experience for her also. So, maybe next time you take him with you, try holding his hand while y'all walk for a little while, if he tries to run around, explain to him that its not acceptable and that if he stays with you like a good boy you'll buy him a special treat, if he still continues to run, put him in the cart and continue on your way, try again next time! ;)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Ah well in that case I don't see a problem with it. I mean kids will go crazy every once in a while but as long as you have him under reasonable control I don't see a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Are you serious? Yes that's rude and you're not parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Standing with you nicely is great. Wandering far enough to even knock something off a shelf/display is not so great. Learning "don't touch" or "touch it and you buy it" is a lesson that can never be taught too early. Respecting property that isn't our own is something that's been lost and has nothing to do with 'freedom' or strollers. It has to do with restraint in our actions and yes, that is something we should teach from the get go. Kids aren't perfect and shouldn't be held to perfect standards but life is an ongoing lesson.
    I dislike being in a store with my children, who don't stray, and seeing other kids doing what you describe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010