do you get offended if someone doesnt immediatley call and thank you for a gift or card you send. Do you always expect a thank you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It seems to me like the people who get offended are the people who send thank you's themselves and therefore have an *expectation* back in return, and likewise, the ones who do not seem to care are the ones who also do not send the thank you's. It just shows that we expect from others what we give ourselves. Acknowledging this has made my life a little easier because I no longer get frustrated or dissapointed in people. I myself would send thank you's, just like I would never be late for appointments, and always follow through on my promises. But these are my values, and I'm starting to let go of having the same high expectations of others. Otherwise I will have very few friends because they are not all like me.
    Seracin

Answer by Seracin at 12:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• yes,cause how hard is it to make a phone call? Its not like you're sending the message by telegraph or something! Immediate to me is within a week of recieving it
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't get offended but I think it's rude to not send out thank you notes. I usually do expect them for wedding gifts, baby shower gifts, baptisms or communions but not for birthdays.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:43 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• No, I give because I want to and don't expect nothing in return.

I know they appreciate it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• op.. my dh's grandma sent home some Easter towels with him for me. They were in a bag with my name and had no name as to who they were from. Well, i get a phone call from my MIL about 3 days later asking why i didnt call and tell her thank you. I'm like "oh, i thought they were from you" (i did call and thank her for all the easter goodies) i still have'nt called. I think its redicualous to get mad over some stupid towels. Even if i did call she would know that its only because my MIL said something to me about "NOT CALLING" Do you think she is out of line being all offended by this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't get offended... especially if it's a friend or family member. The only time it "bothers" me is if I sent a gift or card w/money to an event that I am unable to attend, i.e. a bday party, wedding, etc. I think it's a little rude to not at least acknowledge that they got something from you. My son has been unable to attend 2 parties this yr that we RSVPd to, so I sent a gift, via my son, to each child. I never got a card or call from either parent.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i dont get offended, but old school people do. i come from a VERY traditional family where you got backhanded for saying "what" in reply to your name being called bc it sounded rude instead of "maam or sir" lol my parents raised me to ALWAYS say thank you or send notes. i DO get irritated when people dont thank me for something i do above and beyond whats expected. birthdays or events where gifts are normal i dont expect anything but if they say something its nice. if i send you something out of the blue or make an effort especially for you, i would like something but dont expect it. i can only control how i act, not others. so that having said, she may be offended but she probably just wants to know you liked her gesture. she made a really big effort in her mind to give you something and feels a little "gipped" on her end of feeling like she did something great for you. maybe just sending her a card would be a peace offering
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm horrible at sending thank you cards, or calling to say thank you. But...I also dont' care if someone says thank you to me for getting them something. For example...if i'm at a baby shower and they're opening my gift they usually say thank you anyway then and there.

I don't give gifts to be appreciated for them....but I do give gifts because I LIKE TO and I WANT TO!.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• In some cases I do get offended/irritated. I used to send birthday and Christmas gifts to all of my 11 neices and nephews who live in other states. I didn't expect my sister or SIL's to send gifts for my kids, but after several years of not even receiving an acknowledgement that the packages had been received I gave up. I didn't expect hand-written notes or even phone calls, but at least an e-mail saying they received what I sent would have been nice.

I've been to several baby showers lately where someone was writing down information about all the gifts and who brought them, and surprisingly I have not received one single thankyou card from any of them. I'm not offended, but I do wonder why they bothered to write down all the information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I don't get offended but I do think its rude not to send thank yous. After my baby shower, I had all my thank you notes done and sent out within the next week. So many of my mom's friends complimented me for that. I have a friend that never sent out thank you notes from her baby shower, or her son's 1st birthday party. I thought it was extrememely rude, but it doesn't surprise me that she didn't. She's that type of person to not care about that kind of stuff. I also sent a gift to my cousin who lives in San Diego...I live in Indiana. I didn't get a thank you note for 3 months. The whole time I was wondering if they ever recieved it but I didn't want to ask and make them feel stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2010