Introducing foods other than formula....

When did you start introducing your infant to foods other than formula (not a question for BF moms)...eg: cereal, gerber foods, etc... And how did you go about introducing these fodos? How many times a day did you give them, and how much?

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 9:50 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was given the okay to start giving my dd food other than formula at 6 months. I started with the cereal, but my dd was not interested in it. So then we moved to baby jar food and she ate that just fine until recently, when it is hit or miss whether she decides she wants to eat it or not. We give her snacks like cheerios (I just started this at 9.5 months because she has quite a few teeth). Another thing I did when she was a little younger was that I bought some fruit like apples and peaches and cut them in pieces and froze them. Once they were frozen I would stick them in those little things that are mesh and the baby can chew it but not get too big of pieces, do you know what i mean? anyways, it was great because it was fruit, and it was cold, which felt good on her gums i am sure. At 9.5 months my daughter still drinks more formula and eats less actual food. We try at every meal, and she eats a little, but every baby is di
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 9:38 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Okay the general "every baby is the same answer" is 4-6 months is the time to start solids.

BUT every baby is different. Some signs your baby is ready is that he or she watched you eat your food with interest, can stick out their tongue, acts like the formula isn't enough, etc. etc.

My daughter started this at just 2 months so we started giving her runny cereal at that time once a day. After about 2 weeks she acted like she wanted another meal and got two meals of cereal and I made it less runny.

She is now 4 months old and she eats 3 meals a day, though no more cereal as she loves her fruits and veggies by themselves. I make all her baby food myself, it's cheaper and I use organic foods only. (Example 1 sweet potato makes the equivilant of 9 jars of baby food, 4 apples and 2 pears made 14 jars)!

She has fruit for breakfast and a veggie or fruit for lunch and veggie for dinner.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Also too.....my mom started me on cereal when i was 3 weeks old....back then guidelines were different. My pedi told her to put me on whole milk at 4 months old! LOL, so times change and i'm certain by the time our kids have kids the 4-6 month guideline current recommended will be different.

Don't stick to textbooks answers. Each baby is different. Katelyn holds her head up, stands up with help, sits up unassisted, and gets mad if the spoon doesn't get to her mouth fast enough. So perhaps other parents out there would immediately say "Cereal at two months, you're crazy" but Katelyn was ready! Some babies may not be ready at that point, or their parents may not be ready, but just read the signs your baby gives you to make the decision.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i also started solids around 2 months with all 3 of my kids. rice cereal is a good way to start.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• 6 months is the earliest you should start. They have these guidelines because they've come to find out the link to feeding solids early to childhood obesity, allergies and other problems kids are having.

PHYSICALLY, the child needs to be able to sit up on their own and have lost the tongue thrust reflex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• No baby should start before 4 months. Even if for some reason you think your baby is ready. A baby's digestive system is not ready before 4 months. There have been many scientific studies about the earliest time to start solids and 4 months is the very earliest. There have also been studies that have shown solids don't make your baby sleep through the night.

Moms that start solids too soon, overfeed their babies, and have overweight babies need to realize that they are harming their babies in ways that may cause the child to have lifelong health problems. Like Aon 10:01 says it is linked to childhood obesity, allergies, and other problems. The obesity can be lifelong. It sucks having multiple foood allergies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• well my kids are just fine thanx! no allergies, healthy weight, and they all slept through the night at an early age. if your child is hungry, feed it! and remember always, mothers had babies before they had doctors! you know what your baby needs better than any scientific study. i swear i dont know how any mother could listen to her child scream in hunger and just stick a bottle in it's mouth! that's just lazy and/or stupid!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i love how i'm like getting lectured and i didnt even mention my own situation? lmao

anyways, thanks Mom2Jack04... Atleast you answered the questions that I asked and didn't assume anything!
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 10:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Your welcome....don't worry some are regulars for touting it's their way or we are raising fat unhealthy babies. They need to feel like they are high and mighty when in fact they make themselves look like fools.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Okay, you want my answer?

I didn't start my daughter on solids until 6 months when she could sit up on her own and she had stopped the tongue thrust reflex. Her first meal was some baked sweet potato that had been mashed up with formula. She got a few tablespoons of it, and that was it. She had one "meal" of solids a day until she was a year, and then we switched her over to eating more solid food.

And bestmommyeber, my daughter, who wasn't fed solids early, was sleeping through the night by 4 months old while being fed only formula. Sleeping through the night has nothing to do with what you feed and completely on the baby itself. And you are lucky your child is healthy and never had problems or at least they don't have any yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2010