Similac or Enfamil?

Hello. I am facing only bottle feeding my baby and was wondering which formula to use? I used Enfamil Lipil with my first son and had so many problems with spitting up. I know all babies are different, but I don't want to face that much vomit again. My sister and a couple of my friends used Similac & loved it. What did you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well they do say Soy formulas can result in future allergies to soy. But all babies are different. I'd start with the typical enfamil and see how your baby handles it.

My daughter didn't have spit up problems on it, but she did have gas problems with it, Similiac made it worse, so we tried Enfamil Gentlease and that worked wonders, it was pretty expensive so we checked labels and the generic store brands like Targets and Wal-Marts have the same ingredients and it's $10 CHEAPER.....so my daughter who is 4 months old uses Target Gentle Formula.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• We used the Enfamil Lipil for supplementing, but didn't have any more issues with him spitting that up than we did with him spitting up when he was breastfeeding

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Human milk. Why do you say you are facing only bottle feeding?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i used different formulas with all of my kids. 1st son had acid reflux, and we had the best luck with similac alumentum (sp?) 2nd son was on regular similac, and by the time dd came along, we no longer met the WIC guidelines so we used the Rite Aid brand. i wish i would have used it with my other 2 kids. it was the best formula i ever used! it was more expensive than the other store brands, but it was worth it. we bought it one day when we didn't have time to run to wal mart, and my dd never spit up again. i loved that stuff!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Enfamil and Similac aren't the only ones out there, unless your on WIC. I used the Great Value brand at walmart and my twins did great on it. It actually was more gentle on them than the similac or enfamil and carnation goodstart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• It's no one's business why she is not breastfeeding.

I used Enfamil Lipil with my first and he spit up a lot. My second spit up a lot on Similac. But then we found out she has an allergy to milk protein. We had to put her on Alimentum. There are so many formulas that I believe now you just have to find the one that works for your baby. I've heard good things about the "Gentle" formulas that just about every company who makes formula produces. Sometimes spitting up just happens until at least 6 months because of the digestive system needing to mature or going on pureed foods.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I breastfed and switched to Good Start Soy formula when my daughter was about 2 months. She seems to love the Good Start, and I have a few friends who have used it as well (not the soy one, thats just me)...
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 10:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• The OP's first sentence sounds like she has been told she has been told she can't breastfeed. It sound like she doesn't want to feed formula, "facing only bottle feeding".

It is the baby's business if she breastfeeds. It is society's business if she breastfeeds. She may be on WIC or foodstamps and we have to pay for the formula. The baby will be on Medicaid or insurance and we will have to pay for the increased medical costs. The increased medical costs will last the baby's lifetime. We may have to pay if the mother gets breast cancer she wouldn't have gotten if she breastfed. We pay for the damage to the environment.

Breastfeeding is not a person choice. It is a health issue that involves the baby and society.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• My son used Enfamil Premium Lipil. Good stuff. But it all depends on your baby's tummy. If in doubt of a certain formula, ask your pediatrician!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• LOL stop being so Pompous Gailll and get off your high horse of "my way or no way" some people don't breastfeed for various reasons, including myself and medical reasons where I am unable to safely breastfeed my baby, but guess what, it's NOT your business or "societies" business. I pay for my own formula, I don't use WIC or foodstamps so stop being so judgemental and mind your own business, like YOU are the perfect parent and everyone should get on their knees and bow down to you.......get over yourself.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 14, 2010