Fondant cake icing

My aunt and I are learning how to use fondant to make wedding cakes. This is the very first time either one of us has messed around with it and I think the round cake turned out darn good for being the first time. But the only problem we had was at the bottom the fondant bunched up while making the way around the circle. We will take any advice that people have to give us. We are wanting to make a business out of this. So how do I make the bottom as smooth as the tops?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 10:14 AM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Since fondant is very pliable, you should be able to use your fingers to lightly press out the extra folds & wrinkles, then trim the extra fondant from the bottom of the cake, kind of like trimming a pie crust. I also use a small hand roller to help smooth the fondant after it's trimmed.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i tried this a few times, but i'm just not cut out for fondant lol it's not easy! they have some really good instructional videos on youtube.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• use a little powder sugar on your hands and gently press it out and use the toll it helps a lot but if you wait to long the fondunt will harden you have to work very fast!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• they make paddles that are just for smoothing the fondant. when i watch them on tv, they smooth the top first and work their way down the sides. i have worked with it just a little bit...i think my problem with the bunching at the bottom may be the thickness of the fondant itself...or perhaps the coat of frosting b/t the cake and the fondant. are you using buttercream? i think that is what they use on the tv baking shows. you can use a wheel like a pizza cutter to trim the fondant at the bottom of the cake too. i am thinking one day i may take a course at the community college here.
    i make my own fondant out of marshmallows while i am still practicing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2010